7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 10:30 AM by jesse.fuller

How do you delete messages in your inbox

huong_ho888

I get so many messages that I don't need in my inbox. How do I delete them? I don't see any intuitive means to easily do so. Is it a limitation by design? Thanks!

• Re: How do you delete messages in your inbox

Hi huong_ho888,

While there is not a delete feature for the Jive inbox stream, there are a couple of options available to you if there are too many messages populated there.

1. Consider limiting the content in your instance that is piped to your inbox via your preferences page - Customizing Notifications

2. If you are not wanting to receive additional notifications on a specific item, you should be able to select the "Hide new activity" link on your inbox page to disable further updates:

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 9.37.57 AM.png

3. You might also consider only viewing unread items in your inbox to filter out all viewed items:

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 9.39.09 AM.png

Thanks!

1 person found this helpful
              huong_ho888

Hi Jesse Fuller Thank you very much for the tips on how to filter and limit the number of messages in the Inbox.  You can also click on the "Unread Only" button if you only want to see the unread message.  As the number of members grow, you will be receiving more messages in the Inbox.  You need to spend more time monitor and scroll the Inbox. It is a time sink, not intuitive and user friendly.  Do you know if Jive plans to address this design limitation such as automatically archiving the "read" message or provide us with an easy way to manage the incoming messages?  Thank you so much!

Warm regards,

Huong

Hi Huong,

Do you know if Jive plans to address this design limitation such as automatically archiving the "read" message or provide us with an easy way to manage the incoming messages?

For this specific scenario, I would suggest reviewing through Customizing Notifications as it provides a great overview on how to set-up/control what items you are receiving notifications on.

Thanks!

huong_ho888

Jesse Fuller Yes, I reviewed the information and follow the suggestions.. I was hoping that there is a way to delete the messages similar to other message systems like Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc..  I still don't know why we can't delete them.  I am looking for a technical explanation.  But there is none. It is okay to at least know the reason why such as we need to keep the messages around for our search database, therefore we can't delete them?  I am okay if you don't want to give the real reason. 

Hi huong_ho888,

Thanks for the update.

I was hoping that there is a way to delete the messages similar to other message systems like Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc..

This definition helps me to better understand the behavior you are expecting to see and provide a more targeted response.

I am looking for a technical explanation.

Jive is not an email system like the examples above. Instead the "inbox" page is a type of activity stream for your user in your Jive instance that stores data for 180 days. Since the items in your "inbox" are only notifications for activities/content within your instance there is not the option to delete them as you would an email within an email system. Instead, if you were wanting to remove a specific item from your "inbox" page, you would need to delete the root content from your system.

Let me know if this helps to clarify the behavior you are seeing.

Thanks!