6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2017 10:38 AM by erios001c

How do I invite a user?

erios001c

So here is the deal. I am the admin for Comcast's JIVE instance. A user who the admin left the company and I need to make another user an admin. The group is public but restricted. Everything is telling me to invite the user to the group but as an admin I don't see where I could. I know what and where the invite button should be but it's not there. So my questions are how do I invite a user to group and is there a way to bypass the process whereby they would not need to accept the group invite and I could just assign them to the role of admin?

• Re: How do I invite a user?
          radelgado

Hi erios001c,

I am not too sure about bypassing the prompts to add someone and give them admin access, but to actually do it, in the group page, on the right click manage > members:

then on the right side of the page click invite to group:

Once the member is a part of the group, next to their name you can make the change to administrator:

that should be it. though i am in version 8.03 hosted, I do not know if it is different on a cloud instance

hope this helps!

erios001c

So maybe I'm missing something but there isn't that option there:opengroup_restricted.jpg

radelgado

maybe it is missing because you are not ad admin in the group. you may be an admin in the instance, but since groups have their own little notches in the system you would have to become an admin in it before you can invite others etc.

you said the admin of the group left? so when that user is deleted from the system, someone in the group should be able to be changed to an admin i think. I have not had this scenario happen to me so i cannot say for sure.

erios001c

So the person who is the admin left the group but not Comcast. So how do I handle this? It would seem ridiculous that I, as the admin, could not just remove this user myself and make someone an admin. There's got to be a better way that me either deleting the user or emailing them to remove their account from the group.

Hi Edward Rios,

From the scenario above, once a user is a member of a specific group, it does appear you have the admin permissions required to elevate them to an admin of the group, for example your screenshot above:

opengroup_restricted.jpg

However, if you are wanting to force a user into a specific social group, while this ability is not available in the out of the box product, I think you will find the Admin Essentials add-on adds in the feature you are looking for. If you are interested in adding this extension to your instance, please either reach out to your account manager or submit a case in your customer group ( MyJive Secret Support Group Administration FAQ ) here in the Jive Works community and a member of our support team can assist in setting up an engagement with our Professional Services team on your behalf.

Thanks!

1 person found this helpful
                              erios001c

Thanks for the info. The work around was actually not evident but simple and required a phone call and screen-sharing with JIVE. By changing the group from OPEN/RESTRICTED to OPEN/NON-RESTRICTED I was able to add and remove the users easily (Because now I had the options to do so). After this was done I changed it back to its original OPEN/RESTRICTED status. This is the simplest, non-intuitive answer which the phone tech acknowledge is an edge-case bug that will need to be fixed considering I am subscription admin and shouldn't have to jump through such hoops.