12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 10:51 AM by mnevill

People > Settings > Guest Settings > Allow Guest

mnevill

People > Settings > Guest Settings > Allow Guest

Does anyone have specifics on what this setting does exactly?  I searched Jiveworks and through the Jive-X documentation and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
      Matt

• Re: People > Settings > Guest Settings > Allow Guest

Hi Matt, I searched our docs and couldn't find anything on this topic either. In general, this setting means that you will enable guests to access your community without logging in. This means that anyone will have access to content in Public groups. This setting is useful when you would like part of your community open to the public and part private. You'll need to manage permissions to make sure that you set up access correctly for the public parts and private parts of the community. If you need more guidance on how to set this up correctly, I'd advise either asking a question in the Jive Training and Support Resources group if your question can be open, or in your private support group.

1 person found this helpful
            socketz

In addition to Tracy's comments, this feature is also useful for your development/UAT environment as you typicaly don't want anything within it to be accessible to the public.

Hey Matt  -

The "Allow Guest" check box determines whether or not unauthenticated users are allowed to access your site. This is a key difference between External and Internal communities. Internal communities generally have this disabled, as everything is intended to be behind a gated login screen. External communities will have this enabled, as they will allow users to access their site, even if they are logged out. For example, this is how JiveWorks is configured.

This setting was previously only configured through a system property change: jive.auth.disallowGuest

mnevill

Hi David,

Can you clarify this question?

I thought that is what the Everyone and Registered Users permissions were for.  Can you go into some more detail of how this setting differs from using those?

Thanks,
                  Matt

If you are allowing guest access then guests will be able to see content that have those "Everyone" permissions. For example, this space, Jive Training and Support Resources, allows for everyone to view it, which means that if you log out you can still view this thread. If I were to remove this permissions setting then the Space would no longer be visible to anonymous users. Let me know if you have any specific scenarios or configures you have questions about.

mnevill

I think I'm almost there.  Let me paraphrase:

You have to have both Allow Guest checked and the Everyone permission applied for a space to be visible to the public without logging in.  If you had the Everyone permission applied but did not have Allow Guest checked, then the space would not be visible and instead prompt for a user login.

If I got any of that wrong, please help to set me straight.

When was the Allow Guest option added? I don't remember seeing it on Jive 5.02 or Jive 7, but I may have just missed it.

Your understanding is correct, although I will add one note...

If you had the Everyone permission applied but did not have Allow Guest checked, then the space would not be visible and instead prompt for a user login.

For logged out users, if you did not have Allow Guest checked then your users would see a user login screen no matter what the space permissions are set to.

Here's an analogy that might help:

The "Allow Guest" checkbox is kind of like opening your front door to your house. Everyone can come in, but you may still have certain rooms in your house (i.e. spaces, groups) that are locked and require elevated permissions(e.g. the bedroom is off limits unless you live there, but the living room is open for everyone). If you aren't allowing guests, then your front door is shut and locked, and guests won't be able to see anything until they log in and pass through your front door.

When was the Allow Guest option added? I don't remember seeing it on Jive 5.02 or Jive 7, but I may have just missed it.

Before it being added to the UI of the admin console it was simply controlled by the following system property: jive.auth.disallowGuest  (True will show a login page, False will allow guest access)