12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 5:44 AM by Don Shell

Any cool Jive 9 page designs

delfin

Hi all

we are on the process of doing our jive 9 upgrade and it won't be live until some time may if not june this year. i was wondering though if there is anyone here who had already jive 9 in place and if there is any sample overview page or activity page designs you have implemented so far.

our community is heavily using overview page and i know that jive 9 has some new functions in activity page. I'm just trying to explore any creative designs worth getting inspirations from especially with using the activity page.

we are currently on prem but some codes still work too in case you are using one.

thanks!

• Re: Any cool Jive 9 page designs
          Dina Vekaria

We're on Jive Cloud and pushing activity+pages with no HTML in our places. Here are some of my faves:

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.19.58.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.21.38.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 11.22.55.png

8 people found this helpful
              delfin

Thanks Dina! Super like all of them! Have you so far encountered any feedback from your users about their experience using overview page vs activity page in jive 9?

Dina Vekaria

Generally, our colleagues are very accepting of Activity+Pages as it's easier to manage and it does look so much better than Overview. We have had some feedback around there not being more tile equivalents to widgets. We would like:

• RSS Tile
                  • Formatted Text Tile
                  • Recent Activity Tile (rather than a separate page)

Just more Tiles in general would be great, fingers crossed for 2017.1.

1 person found this helpful
                      delfin

Thanks for that Dina.

Yes I did notice it doesn't have formatted text tile which is really useful.

lorilea

Although it's not the perfect fix, we use the Document Viewer tile to display things we would normally do with the Formatted Text widget. It forces you to create extra content, yes, but it works well – and the text is searchable. Just an idea for working around that.

4 people found this helpful
                              Helen Chen

I promote use of Document viewer in my community, along with other related custom tiles.  My big message is that if you update a page, nobody is notified.  If you update a Jive document, folks following will be notified as well as the content is added to the index, as Ted Hopton notes in his reply.  

1 person found this helpful
                              Ted Hopton

The Formatted Text widget is subtly evil, IMO, because people create great content in it that is invisible to the search engine. I've seen entire lists of links, beautifully organized in Formatted Text widgets, and no will ever find that content by searching for it. As, Lori Harrison-Smith said, you can do everything the Formatted Text widget does with a Document Viewer tile and as a bonus all that content is searchable. People can even bookmark the document, which they can't do with a group (why Jive still won't make it possible to bookmark groups is beyond me...)

4 people found this helpful
                                  Dennis Pearce

"Subtly evil" is a good description, Ted.  In addition to the search issue, all that great content can get wiped out without recovery when someone accidentally clicks the "Restore Defaults" button.  I can't count how many times I have been asked "do overview pages have version control?" which is code for "I just screwed up and wiped everything out!"

Using the document viewer also ensures that all your well-thought-out design work and wording doesn't disappear if an accident occurs.

3 people found this helpful
                          lorilea

Here are a few we've put together. It's a long slog at this point to get things moved from widgets to tiles. And we haven't yet figured out the ideal solution to the people creating new groups using widgets. Anyone who reaches out to us is encouraged to use tiles, but many people start groups without any training and go with widgets. We're also hopeful that new tiles with be introduced in 2017.1. We're getting pretty good at working with what we have, but the selection really needs to improve.

Get-Started-Page.jpg

Places-Work.jpg

office-365.jpg

2 people found this helpful