18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2017 1:45 PM by gbrettmiller

Group notifications for published content

mdimino

Silly question alert regarding notifications in a social group....Our Product Managers want to start placing release notes in our community because customers stated that they wanted notifications when something was changed/updated, rather than having to look for those updates. I created a social group for this product, but I wasn't sure if they needed to join in order to receive notifications. Could they simply follow the group and then would automatically receive notifications any time a document was added? Also, is there a way to only be notified when certain content types are added (ie: they probably do not want to see every question posted). I know they could follow a document, but we wanted to limit the number of steps required to get them the help they requested.

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Group notifications for published content
          socketz

If I understand the question correctly, one can "Follow" a space, or a specific piece of content. Otherwise, you will need to craft a custom plugin that analyzes who downloaded certain pieces of content and send updates to only those users when updates are made to the document. I looked into this with Megan Truett at JCS and this is indeed doable.

Placing all of the content for a specific product group in its own space, then telling users to follow that space is what I have done in the past and it works well.

If all of your content types reside in the same space as Jive recommends, then this will be somewhat overwhelming as users will then see alot more email traffic.

1 person found this helpful
            mnevill

It may be useful if they could subscribe to a tag so regardless of what container the content was in they would be notified.  Here are 2 related ideas:

Track and Follow Categories (formerly also Following Tags, which is now supported)

Category- or tag-level email notifications

2 people found this helpful
                mdimino

I like this suggestion, thanks Matt!

socketz

I think what Matt Nevill mentioned about tracking tags fits the ideal Jive architecture where one space contains all forms of content and uses categories and tags for search and organization.

We are pulling in some new spaces that were obtained during a recent merger and run on another platform today.  For those new forums and associated content, I am going to try this model out to see how effective it is as compared to using spaces for organization.

Another thing I like about space level organization is that it allows me to segment access rights for content a little more efficiently.  For instance, I can give Tech Writers Admin access to document spaces and L1 Support people access to forum content. If I then add partner spaces, I can give them access to their own partner space, etc.

Just some food for thought as there is merit in both techniques.

gbrettmiller

The ability to follow a tag in a custom stream has been invaluable for us.

socketz

G. Brett Miller

I've never used this feature, but have heard alot of positive feedback related to its use.  This was new with v8 right? 

Do users setup custom streams within their inbox, then assign the stream to look for specific tags?

gbrettmiller

Yes, it was new with v8.

User can choose to follow a tag in any stream they have set up on the News page. They just need to open up the stream, select the Edit Stream option, and then add the tags they'd like to follow along with the people and places they'd like to add to the stream. Unlike people, places, and content though, I don't know of any way to follow a tag by clicking a "Follow" button and selecting a stream. On that note, I don't believe that users can follow a tag in their Inbox.

The great thing about this is that users can receive updates about a specific topic from across the whole range of places and content instead of just one.

At the same time, users can also use it as a way to receive only updates about a topic of interest from a single place. We have used this to great effect in Q&A type places, where an SME can follow a specific tag so they know when there is a question for them, but they don't have to worry about getting updates on other subject areas from that place.

XMaskuli

Hi Marissa Dimino,

Creating a group for this is definitely  the way to go. Users can follow the group without having to join (Assuming it's open). Another option if you think users are interested getting this information automatically, you could use the news feature and target all (or some users based on profile, etc…) automatically to make sure they will get updates. You can select the blog from that group or space so they won't get inundated with every question or document posted there as well.

mdimino

Great recommendation, thanks Jev! To make sure I understand you correctly, pulling in a blog into that news stream to focus the content they are getting? On another note, the PM asked if they should create a document or blog, my first thought was document. is there a reason a blog might be a better way to share this? I think the term blog would be misleading in this case.

XMaskuli

You have the ability to create a System-wide News Stream that you can auto-subscribe users to (and turn on E-Mail notifications). That News stream can pull all content from a place, or from a Blog. If you are interested in getting updates out (without blasting more notifications for questions, polls, documents, etc… in that same place), having the release notes in the form of a blog would be a good best practice.

Here is a great document on News with helpful links. If you have any questions, just let me know!

socketz

Marissa Dimino

Regarding your document vs. blog question, I am also in the technology space and have also run across scenarios where the term "blog" carries certain social connotations (i.e. opinion, speculative, emotional attachment with the topic, etc.) which potentially strip very technical content of some credibility. I can rename the widgets that point to blog content to something more appropriate like "Help Articles" or "Knowledge Base", but if the user is well grounded in using the site/Jive, they know how to view the content through the carious content menus Jive provides by default (the breadcrumb also states "blog").  Once they find these, the content is once again exposes as "blog" content.

What I find myself doing anymore is publishing the more technical documents as "documents", and the more higher level material as "blogs".

communitygecko

The difference in Jive between Doc and Blog is small, but can be important. From an information and UI point of view, you could not make out a difference as there is none. To everyone's point earlier, the use case of "blog" or "document" can be important to an audience. Finally, a Jive Blog comes with automatic categorization based on date/chronology and that's one of the big differences.