4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 4:42 PM by Sarah O'Meara

How do you use healthcare online?

Sarah O'Meara

I was pleasantly surprised when my health provider recently started moving services online. I could check my history, ask questions and make appointments. I really like the idea of making healthcare easier to access online (how many of you have put off making appointments because making a phone call was so tedious?), and I think Jive would be a great fit to make healthcare more of a community and collaboration between medical staff and patients or just among other healthcare staff across their company. What do you guys think? What has your experience been with online healthcare so far? What would you like to see from healthcare moving forward? This can apply to internal communities (Jive-n) or external communities (Jive-x). I'd love to hear your thoughts!

If you would like to know more about Jive and healthcare, we are going to be staffing a booth at the Health IT Conference for 2017 | HIMSS17  in Florida February 19th - 23rd. Check out Jive at HIMSS17  for more information. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, but I'm truly interested in how we can make healthcare more collaborative and easy to access for people on the go.

• Re: How do you use healthcare online?
          communitygecko

Anyone who has been with Kaiser has had this capability for many years now. I'm not sure if they were ahead of anyone, but I will say that my ability to send a photo with messaging to service an issue has been a God-send. A few years ago they added video as well. They do not use a community platform, but that has not been an impediment.

Sarah O'Meara

That sounds light years ahead of what my healthcare does. I would love to be able to send photos and videos rather than trying to explain it or have to go in person. I feel like this is a great way to increase productivity for healthcare and shorten the time frame that patients can be seen by doctors as they weed the ones out who don't actually need to see a doctor. The possibilities are incredible!

It was also incredibly useful having that online connection with my doctor when I was living in Japan. I was able to contact my primary doctor and get advise as to whether I should see a doctor in Japan, or if it could wait until I returned to the US. I would never have bothered the expense of calling internationally if I didn't have that capability.

communitygecko

Wow, really? Anyone not doing this is clearly not looking at all the benefits. Ok, maybe Kaiser is really ahead of everyone and I applaud that! The time it saves everyone is great and now the only time I need to actually be there is if it is determined I need a lab test, an x-ray or the issue is important enough for be to come in. Oh, and I forgot to mention that even when you do setup an appointment, they also added video calls!

So, coming back to Jive, while it would not cost a prospective insurer the larger expense of developing their own platform I think it would take a fair amount of customization because here is a case where the interaction absolutely has to be private and 1-1. Very contrary to what the default is, thus posing some challenges and development of stuff like video calls.

Sarah O'Meara

That is a very good point about privacy. Maybe communication would be more helpful about more general topics. I have no idea how the medical world works, but I imagine it's important to stay on top of the most recent research on vaccines, laws, etc. that may be easier to disperse across a community. Discussions about recommended medication may also be useful, although that may stir up a heated debate. Lots of interesting things to think about.