10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 6:37 AM by pbradle9

Last Login Never - users that have never logged in

mnevill

Is it common to see a lot of users with a Last Login date of Never?  The last community I managed had a SSO process that more or less forced all users to login to create their account.  For the community I am running now, I see a significant amount of users that have never logged in.  We currently have registration moderation enabled, and I know all of the members that are not approved (still in moderation) and the ones that are rejected will have a login date of Never (rejecting seems to disable the user by the way). However, there are still a lot of users unaccounted for that don't fall into either of those cases.  Is it normal to see a lot of users register and then never login?  How does everyone else out there handle these users?  Is there any downside to deleting them?

• Re: Last Login Never - users that have never logged in
          socketz

Based on my experience, this is odd Matt Nevill

Off the top of my head, I would wonder if people are getting lost during the registration process?

We used to use the Jive Login process, but recently switched to SSO.  Once my former Jive based registered users login using SSO and there is an email match, the federated flag will flip to yes.

Caton Guilbault

Hey Matt,

We have just under 5K folks from the jiveuser table that show a zero for last logged in. When I inspected these folks in the past about 10% where users that got invited to join by other users but never did plus a few hundred were rejected via moderation. The rest looked like normal users who were confused as to why they needed to create a Jive account. Basically the user thought they were setting up an account for our billing system but were mistaken. Our welcome email clearly stated what they account the just made could be used for so they just bailed and never used it since they didn't need/want it in the first place.

socketz

When I inspected these folks in the past about 10% where users that got invited to join by other users but never did

Interesting.

So let's say I invite someone to join using an email address, but that user does not yet have an account, will they show up as a user that never logged in inside of Jive?

I always thought that if someone was invited that did not have an existing account, there was a vanilla email template used to invite the user to register.

mnevill

I thought someone had to at least fill out the required profile fields to show up as a user in the admin console.  Maybe I'm wrong there though.

Caton Guilbault

Hi Michael,

The jiveuser table has a status field and I found the following status levels during my investigation.

JiveUser Status

none(0),

awaiting_moderation(1),

approved(2),

rejected(3),

awaiting_validation(4),

validated(5),

registered(6);

7=invited?

I have a question mark next to invited as I could never pin that down with official documentation but when I look at the rows the username has "__invited__useremailaddress@domain" where the italics section match the users email field.

Depending on how your registration flow is setup you may or may not see all the different status levels.

socketz

Thanks Caton Guilbault. I honestly was not aware that these invites were stored in this manner.  This could come in handy at some point.  Thanks again.

pbradle9

We have one community that still allows form registration -- in it, we have two types of users listing Never for Last Login.

One type makes sense -- the Jive form login guides users through account creation with profile information and, upon completing those fields (which creates an account), they then need to respond to an email to verity. Thus, they have an account that has never logged in -- those who don't confirm via that email are are your Never folks.

The second type of profile listing Never for Last Login is a new/unique mystery through which we are working in a long and detailed case (not worth detailing here/not even sure why I brought it up, ha).

Regardless, there's a 99% chance your Never users got there the via the process I described above.

mnevill

Paul - Thanks for chiming in.  Can you give a high-level description of what you have observed for the second type creating this even if you haven't chased it down all the way yet?

pbradle9

Hi Matt --

I missed a step that leads to most Never listings -- it's not just that they got a confirmation email. It's that they are approved by Moderators, but never login after receiving that confirmation. So they have an approved account, but they never logged in to it.

Seriously, that is most likely your culprit.

The second Never use case for that community is unique to the fact that it's a form login community that began offering an optional SSO/Federated authentication process -- if that's not the case in your community, it won't apply -- so everything is a bit of a mish-mash and things are wonky.