14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 5:05 PM by Billy Volpone

Who Owns Content: the author or the space?

Toby Metcalf

Good day everyone,

I was just contacted by a community member telling me that he could not find a blog post he had created withing a secret group.

As the site admin, I could see the content within his profile under authored, but he could not.

He had saved a link to the blog and sent it to me; this is how I knew the group was secret and blogs had been turned off.

Once I reactivated blogs, he could find his blog.

No matter where content is posted, shouldn't creators always be able to see it?  If the group separated and the owner closed it (or deleted it), would an author lose his content?

I am running Jive 7 hosted.

Thank you,

Toby

• Re: Who Owns Content: the author or the space?
          gbrettmiller

This is an interesting situation we have also come across. Since access and permissions in Jive are handled at a place (space, group) level, it is entirely possible that the creator of content may at some point not be able to access that content. Even though they created it.

Usually this manifests in the actual permissions to a place, for example a Private group to which the person does not belong. In your case, when you disable a specific content type from the group you are essentially revoking access permissions to that content. To the user - the creator of the content - it is no different than if you had moved the content to a private place where they did not have access.

1 person found this helpful
            Toby Metcalf

Thank you all for your contributions!

Here is the idea Content Creators Own Their Content- would you please vote for it?

Best,

Toby

Toby Metcalf

Greetings all - up to 25 votes! Please share (and vote) for this idea.

Thank you,

Toby

tmaurer

So the way that it works is that if content is created in a place, and then the content type is turned off in that place, content of that type can not only not be created, but existing content of that type cannot be viewed. I think this is poor design - I might not want NEW content of that type, but if there is existing content of that type, it should absolutely show. Or there should be two toggles - one to turn off new content, one to hide existing content.

But it has absolutely worked this way for a long time.

Billy Volpone

In case it helps, there is an easy solution the product has always allowed for, but it can't be done with groups. We built spaces to allow for that additional layer of permissioning and content control. For example, groups create that permission layer around the container, which can work really well, especially for flat ad-hoc group types and use cases. But spaces can pull from the admin permissioning to create far more granular abilities. For this example, within a space, you wouldn't need to turn off an entire content type and thereby hide all of that content, past and present. You would only need to disallow non-employee users from further creating blogs, in this example. Now they can see all past blogs but not create new ones.

When I'm helping community managers create sub-community areas, we often have the permissioning and use case conversation first, and sometimes that leads us to create a space instead of a group. Certainly I hope in the future there's just one container type that does both, but I work with what we have today

tmaurer

What you've described is certainly an interesting way to go about it, but doesn't really address the use case I was thinking of - basically a situation where you have legacy content you want to still show, but you don't want any more of that content type to be created. A perfect example is a place that was used for an Idea Jam. I only want people to be able to create ideas between two set dates. The Ideas created should remain and display, but I don't want anyone else to be able to post a NEW idea after a set date.

While I think you MIGHT be able to figure out a way to do this in a space by being creative with permissions, it would be a pain to manage.

Billy Volpone

If you already had the permission group types set up, you could just assign it to said space once ready... but you're correct that if doing it from scratch, it's not the most intuitive. With that said, I can understand from the product side how this can get tricky, but I also always side on making Jive more flexible whenever possible.