4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 9:22 AM by mcollinge

What is your page width?

austin.openshaw

I'm curious what other communities choose as their page width and why. We've gone from a set 900px to a full page responsive, and I'm thinking there has to be a happy medium. I am personally like 1400px. What width is your community set to and why?

• Re: What is your page width?
          noelwhite

We use a 1260px max width.  This is a bit wider than many of the popular curated news sites on the web, but we find this slightly wider max helps in Jive with the side menus on the content pages.

1 person found this helpful
            mcollinge

We went for no fixed with on element14 Community.. it expands to whatever you resize your browser to. I generally have mine at 1300px width.. leaving just enough at the right side of my screen for email and chat to poke through

1 person found this helpful
                austin.openshaw

You're with Element14?!?! Totally going to show my nerd level, but I really like The Ben Heck Show!

Back to business -  The only reason I haven't enjoyed the no fixed width is regarding content creation and formatting. I feel like someone can dedicate a lot of time to the appearance of the content, but then resize the browser and it look goofy. It can be frustrating to work and tweak all for a resize to mess with it. That is the only reason I'm not completely in love with it. We've been that way for over a year.

mcollinge

austin.openshaw wrote:

You're with Element14?!?! Totally going to show my nerd level, but I really like The Ben Heck Show!

Sure am.. I'm the lead developer for the site, and have worked on it soon after it launched It's great to hear you like the show.. it is one of the most popular things on the Community. Our site also has to withstand Raspberry Pi product launches when those happen, so that keeps things interesting.