4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2017 1:49 PM by danthomas

Best practices to manage large groups over time--do you periodically ask for members to opt in/re-join?

kellyrfeller

Howdy folks! I work in IT at Cisco and am responsible for enabling our Jive influencers (Community managers & Advocates) to help drive increased adoption of social collaboration & Jive throughout the company. I recently joined the team and took over management of a rather large group of community managers with 3K+ members (internal, open).

My question is: does anyone have best practices for managing large internal groups to help maintain security and minimize group spam? As the Jive groups at Cisco continue to mature, we're finding there are many groups with members who have either left the company or who have transitioned roles and are no longer engaged in the group. I just wondered if others update their group membership with any frequency through either an opt-in message or perhaps a tile requesting people to re-establish their desire to be in the group? Or perhaps there is another way to do this from a technical perspective?

This guidance will likely be shared broadly with community managers as they, like me, attempt to maintain the effectiveness of their groups. Thanks for any tips!

• Re: Best practices to manage large groups over time--do you periodically ask for members to opt in/re-join?
          Libby Taylor

It's a really great question that I personally don't have an answer for. But hopefully another one of our community members has addressed this in the past!

• Re: Best practices to manage large groups over time--do you periodically ask for members to opt in/re-join?
              delfin

Hi Kelly

I'm guessing there are two concerns we need to address from your inquiry and I hope I get it right:

1. How to housekeep membership of your Advocates group

2. How to manage group members who have moved to a new team or left the company

For item 1, I am not sure how you engage them but through activities you provided them to do (sort of like a "mission") for your community where probably they earn points or badges as well as through your periodic meetings or catch ups with them, you will have a quantitative measure of who is still active in the group and to those who aren't as much, you can call their attention separately if they are still interested to stay. If they are not interested anymore, I still don't suggest that you kick them out of the group because we'll never know when they would want to rejoin but keeping a maintained list of who's active and who's not and through some rewards system you can be able to manage your members effectively.

For item 2, this is more of a responsibilty of the group owners rather than the community manager. A simple reminder to group owners on how to housekeep their membership will help. if you can provide the some guidelines on how to do this would be good too.

hope this helps

kellyrfeller

So in our case the group owners are typically the community managers. At Cisco we don't just have one large company community; we have hundreds of groups managed by individual community managers/owners. I am looking to provide guidance to them as to how & why they should keep their group membership lists up-to-date. One reason could be to manage potential spam. Another reason could be to provide an accurate snapshot into membership # as a community health indicator.

danthomas

Good question and I think there's a few things to cover there.

• In terms of avoiding spam, it's up to the users to follow what they're interested in or not, so in that case I wouldn't worry about it
                • From a security perspective, if someone leaves the company, assuming your sign sign on'd their account should deactivate, so that should be covered anyway. Also if your instance is internal they shouldn't be able to access your internal network to get to your internal jive too
                • From a effectiveness point of view, we have a group for and a list of our community managers, so I do periodically ask for re-opt-in's because we don't want people asking questions to their relevant CM and no-one responding
                • and from a advocate point of view, i'd export your activity / adoption report and your members list and cross reference them. The participants and contributors are the ones adding value