4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 4:44 AM by robdingwall

External Contributors - How do you manage them?

robdingwall

I love the ability to be able to bring "external contributors" into a group to allow for collaboration with partners, agencies and other people outside of my organization.  We are using single sign on for the internal users of our on-prem Jive installation and my understanding is that the user IDs for external contributors need to be managed directly in Jive.

The questions that I have for all of you is this:

• How do you manage the user IDs for external contributors?
      • How to you ensure company policy is followed (password length and character requirements, regularly changed, etc)
      • How do you monitor/track the number of external groups created?
      • Do you allow sensitive information to be contained in these external groups?  If so, how do you train people on their responsibilities and ensure they are properly equipped to manage the group and information?

I'm happy to have a discussion, I am looking for some community advice and best practices (or practices to avoid) as we consider our next steps in this area.

Thanks!!

• Re: External Contributors - How do you manage them?
          robdingwall

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Do you use external contributors?  I'm just trying to get a sense of what others are doing, the benefits they are seeing and any challenges they have in operations/admin of these ids.  Thanks!!!

Libby Taylor

Hey Lea Reznik

Do you happen to have an approach to this?

1 person found this helpful
              jgoldhammer

Rob,

we are using External contributors in our internal community to communicate with each other and manage projects together.

• How do you manage the user IDs for external contributors?

In general, you have two possibilties to bring external contributors into your platform.

1. Let  internal users of your platform invite external contributors by mail adress. The mail address will be the username in this case.
                2. Manage external users centrally in our Microsoft Active Directory and deactivate invitiation by mail (see How to disable invite of users for external accessable groups?). In this case, we have a concept of using principal names for the IDs of the external users, e.g. <surname.given name>@external.fme-us.com

• How to you ensure company policy is followed (password length and character requirements, regularly changed, etc)

If you want to have this kind of policies assured, you have to manage these users in an external system which allows these settings. Active Directory policies allow to do these things. Users which are managed by Jive internally (without using Active Directory) - this is not possible at all. You can define a strong password complexity, but passwords will not expire...

When you are using Single-Sign-On for your internal users, external users (managed in Active Directory) also could be use that.

• How do you monitor/track the number of external groups created?

In this case, you are able to control who can create externally accessible groups in Social Group Permissions in  Jive Admin Console. So it is possible to give this capability in the hands of a few people only.

Currently it seems that there is no overview OOTB about all groups which are externally managed.

One idea here is that you use a place category "externally accessible" to mark these groups and afterwards you are able to filter for them.

• Do you allow sensitive information to be contained in these external groups?  If so, how do you train people on their responsibilities and ensure they are properly equipped to manage the group and information?

This is the most difficult question. Yes, you can train your people. But it always can happen by accident that people will upload into a wrong place. But Jive have done a good job because there are signs in all parts of the application when the user will post something in an externall accessible group.

I would encourage you to look at following place Configuring Internal Communities for External Contributors with tons of good discussions and information.

and jive docs:

Who are external contributors - Core Help

Manage external groups - Core Help

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Jens

2 people found this helpful