5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2017 5:36 AM by radelgado

Is it possible to insert a data dashboard within Jive?

radelgado

Our research team is developing a data dashboard to house different data that they want to display, and were wondering if it were possible to post it within our Jive-8N instance?

if this is possible, would it also be interactive, or static like the reports that show in Jive already?

• Re: Is it possible to insert a data dashboard within Jive?
          Ted Hopton

We display Tableau dashboards in our Jive-n Cloud instance in a custom tile. It's interactive and looks great -- basically using an iframe.

3 people found this helpful
            Dennis Pearce

It's possible to embed another application in an overview page using an html widget or an activity page using an html tile (and sometimes even in a document depending on circumstances).  Embedding it would make it interactive.  You might have a good chance at success if you are developing it yourself, but I'm increasingly finding my users running into problems for two reasons:

(1) They are trying to mix content, i.e. trying to embed http content into an https environment.  I think almost all browsers prohibit embedding unsecure content on a secure site for security reasons.  There are ways around this but I think they all involve making changes to the browser settings on an individual basis.  Plus, if all the browser vendors are trying to keep you from doing something, probably not smart to enable everyone in your company to get around it.  So you should make sure that the url you are trying to embed is also https.

(2) Software vendors are increasingly using the X-Frame attribute in their response headers to prevent clickjacking.  From Mozilla's web site:

The X-Frame-Options HTTP response header can be used to indicate whether or not a browser should be allowed to render a page in a <frame>, <iframe> or <object> . Sites can use this to avoid clickjacking attacks, by ensuring that their content is not embedded into other sites.

There are three possible directives for X-Frame-Options:

X-Frame-Options: DENY

X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN

X-Frame-Options: ALLOW-FROM https://example.com/

DENY: The page cannot be displayed in a frame, regardless of the site attempting to do so.

SAMEORIGIN: The page can only be displayed in a frame on the same origin as the page itself.

ALLOW-FROM uri: The page can only be displayed in a frame on the specified origin.

The way I test for this in Chrome is simple -- if you're getting a blank screen in your tile or widget, right-click on the screen and select "Inspect."  The error message will show you if it's a mixed content or X-Frame problem.  We ran into this when we wanted to embed some ServiceNow dashboards in Jive and found that ServiceNow is using X-Frame "sameorigin."

So as Ted indicated, it works great if you're developing your own stuff that you want to embed because you have total control over it.  But if you're trying to embed some third-party screens you might run into either of the above problems.

3 people found this helpful
              radelgado

It is an original development, I just haven't had access to it yet and wanted to educate myself a bit on whether it was possible in the first place, rather than assuming then getting that look when you were so confident about it working.

thanks for all the input so far this is really helping me!

Dennis Pearce

This has very little to do with your original question and is just a silly aside, but I discovered that custom html tiles will let you embed one Jive screen inside another Jive screen.  You can even embed an activity page inside itself and get a "hall of mirrors" effect:

hall of mirrors.JPG

Not sure what practical benefit this might have if any, but it's an interesting quirk.