3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 10:03 AM by lostenso

Disable use of login

lostenso

Hello- I am getting requests to disable login's on the jive community site I manage. The reason is because of time-outs with user authentication and I think because some people want it to be one-way communication out rather than two-way between members. Their argument is that why have users in the first place- can we still enable discussion without logging in. My question to the community: Is it even possible to disable use of login's?

• Re: Disable use of login
          socketz

Permissions->Space Permissions

Billy Volpone

I think there is a larger discussion to be had here... such as the purpose of the community overall. As you know with Jive, a user needs to login to take any action, even though you can enable them to view many things without that login happening. The idea of anonymous users posting can create a lot of issues that I won't go into here. But I do here this a lot around community strategy, such as when and how to enable that engagement. In 2017, it is an expectation of users that they'll have the ability to comment or post. Locking that down can cause other issues. One-way communication has a place, but not in a community, unless it's only a single group or two within a larger collaborative network. I don't think the time-out issue should lead to choosing less collaboration. This should actually be something with an easy fix. In most SSO cases, you can determine the timers for that timeout, and in many deployments, there isn't a timeout set at all. The user, once logged in, doesn't require a timeout end point. Do you know how yours was set up? Also, are you on Jive-x cloud or a hosted deployment? If the latter, have you talked with us about instead moving to cloud?

lostenso

Thanks Billy- yes, that is the same information I gave to my boss and client, e.g. why do we have a community if we don't actually want one? I couldn't tell how our's was set up, and we are not on cloud and after exploring it, cannot afford it. I will issue a ticket for seeing if we can make sure we don't have a timeout once logged in. Thanks so much!