4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 10:03 AM by mark.schwanke

How do I leave a private group message conversation?

mark.schwanke

I know I saw the option to leave a Group Private Message conversation previously but now I only see "hide new activity" when I'm not looking at the actual message and viewing from inbox.  This prevents me from getting notified but it doesn't get me out of the conversation when I don't want to participate any longer. Did this quietly get removed?

Change subject and add people are the only two options when I look at the actual collaboration URL.

Mark

• Re: How do I leave a private group message conversation?

Hi Mark,

I have run through some testing in all current releases of Jive (8, 9 and Cloud), however am not seeing an option to leave a direct message involving multiple users. For clarification, do you know which release of Jive you previously saw this behavior in?

Thanks!

mark.schwanke

Jesse-

Honestly I'm not sure where I saw it.  Perhaps it was on JiveWorks some time over Summer 2016?  We've been on Cloud release 2016.2 and 2016.3 since we joined Jive so I am not sure I saw it there.  I just remember seeing it in the past and someone on the community asked about it so I went to look for it and couldn't find it.  I only see the option to hide new activity which doesn't allow someone to leave a conversation they don't want to be in any longer. I empathize with them if they feel trapped. 

Mark

Hi Mark,

I just remember seeing it in the past and someone on the community asked about it so I went to look for it and couldn't find it.  I only see the option to hide new activity which doesn't allow someone to leave a conversation they don't want to be in any longer. I empathize with them if they feel trapped.

Thanks for the update, if you are interested in seeing this type of feature added into a future release of the Jive Cloud platform I would suggest submitting an idea to the Ideas for Jive space where members of the Jive Works community can help increase the visibility for this type of feature with our Product team by voting up the idea.

Additionally, you might consider requiring a user connection in your community to send out Direct Messages, as this can help to reduce the overall amount of message being sent to a user (admin console >> system >> settings >> direct messages and sharing):

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 9.25.27 AM.png

Thanks!

mark.schwanke

Jesse Fuller I know it was there so I guess this was a feature that was removed.  I was merely asking if I had missed a setting that allowed it to be turned back on or if the Hide New Activity had replaced it.

Not sure if I'll ask for it to be added back. 

We've intentionally turned off the bi-directional follow requirement. We're not seeing spam. It's just that sometimes someone gets involved in a Group DM conversation and then they desire to exit it after a period of time or don't want access to information that may be shared in the interaction.  By hiding new activity they may not be "notified" but they're still in the conversation so others may think they're still watching and may think the person still has access which is confusing. They may also get frustrated if the person doesn't keep interacting.