8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 12:02 PM by gbrettmiller

How can I reset an Overview page to default if the layout editor doesn't load (on-prem 8.0)?

gbrettmiller

I've got an Overview page with some "issues" that is prevent some of the widgets from working correctly and preventing the Overview layout editor from opening. (Whether this is a matter of causation or correlation, I don't know.) I'd like to just reset the Overview page to the default, but because the layout editor is not loading, I'm unable to do it there.

Is there a way in the Admin Console (system properties, maybe) or other way to reset an Overview page to default?

• Re: How can I reset an Overview page to default if the layout editor doesn't load (on-prem 8.0)?
          noelwhite

We have this issue occasionally in our environment when a developer who does not totally understand Jive tries to manipulate their page and ends up with errant javascript which causes issues during load.  If this is the problem, the way I have found that usually gets around this is to manage the Overview page, and right when it first loads the widget frames, spam the ESC key.  This will stop the javascript processing in the browser and prevent the errant script from killing the over-all page.  It requires good timing, though.  If you spam the ESC key too early, the Jive functionality for editing and removing widgets will not be loaded.  If you spam ESC too late, then the errant javascript will kill the page.  Have fun!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: How can I reset an Overview page to default if the layout editor doesn't load (on-prem 8.0)?
            DominicG

WARNING: This will wipe out all widgets and code on the page, and reset to default. There is no undo!

Go to the broken page, and open developer tools > javascript console.

Type containerID and press enter.

Edit this url

http://your.domain.com/customize-container!reset.jspa?containerType=14&container=XXXX&method%3Apublish=Publish+Layout

Replace your.domain.com with your own domain.

Replace the containerType (14 for spaces).

Replace the container with the containerID of the space to reset.

Go to the url.

You'll come to an un-styled version of the Overview page editor. Click the Publish button, and it will be reset to default.

3 people found this helpful
                noelwhite

I have had instances where the offending code was so bad, that the ESC spam solution did not work.  In lieu of this "nuclear option" which resets the entire page and loses all previous customizations, on-prem instances that have access to the database can find the record for the offending HTML Widget in the database, and update it there.  This does require updating a record in a production database, so this may not be an option for sites where production data is off limits.  If you have database access, and are allowed to update a record, the following can be used to reset a single widget on the page:

You can easily get the frame id by opening the developer tools in the browser and inspecting the widget on the page.  In the DOM, look for the div with the id "jive-widgetframe-body_#######"

In this case, the frameid for the widget is 2174288.  We can then run a query in the database as follows

select propvalue from jivewidgetfrmprop where frameid=2174288 and name='html'

the propvalue will have the html stored in the widget.  Validate that is the offending code however you can.

Once validated that is the offending widget, you can update that single widget by running the following

update jivewidgetfrmprop set propvalue='' where frameid=2174288 and name='html'

1 person found this helpful
                mcollinge

Yeah, we've hit this issue as well. We customised our site so that we can Export and Import a widget layout.. and this means that we can alter the exported layout (in XML format) to fix script issues before we import it over the top. That's saved our bacon a number of times

Export / Import a Space's configuration, including widgets

Another technique we've used is to have Fiddler running, and alter (and fix) the script as it's pulled into the browser.. a bit like a man-in-the-middle attack. That is made more tricky now that sites are running over HTTPS.

2 people found this helpful