17 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2017 3:55 PM by Alex Nassi

Where does a "System Blog" appear?

Frank Field

Total rookie question, I suppose, but here goes:  If I enable a "System blog," where will it appear?

I've read this: Managing Blogs  It says, "Global; not contained in any space. A system blog is not connected with any particular space or person."  So, where DOES it show up? And what the heck does it look like?

If I look at my admin panel and begin to create a system blog, it appears that it creates a new URL for the blog. 

blogs.JPG

So, I get that this is the address for the blog.  Does that mean that all new posts in it will appear as individual posts?  Or is this one page that has to be updated?  Is there an "actions" button from which to add a post?  Sorry to be thick-skulled, but I don't get what this is going to look like.

And how does this integrate with the rest of my community? Do I simply add a link to it whereever I want people to find it? Or does some dropdown automagically appear somewhere on my homepage?

Thanks!

• Re: Where does a "System Blog" appear?
          Alex Nassi

Frank Field - I have a System Blog here that you can check out -- SugarBuzz | SugarCRM Community

As an admin, here is what I see:

I have links to the blog on the community home page, in the top menu bar, and it shows up in news feeds. Posts show up in the /content page and everywhere else you would expect a space blog (or any other piece of content) to show up.

In the Jive world where we compartmentalize content into spaces/groups, it is difficult to frame the system blog as just "being there" -- it is almost a subspace of the "Home" space (if that existed).

I hope this helps!

This is on Cloud. I'm not sure if there are differences for on-prem and the different 7,8,9,etc versions

2 people found this helpful
              Frank Field

Thanks, Alex Nassi! That's exactly what I needed to see.

So, this is essentially a new "space" in the community and the blogs are created by people allowed permission, and they'll see a link under "actions" whether it looks exactly like yours or not.  Or, am I wrong and you had to do some custom work to get the "write a blog post" link?

AS for the links elsewhere in your community, that is something you edit in your them as usual?

Alex Nassi
                  So, this is essentially a new "space" in the community and the blogs are created by people allowed permission, and they'll see a link under "actions" whether it looks exactly like yours or not.  Or, am I wrong and you had to do some custom work to get the "write a blog post" link?

You are correct -- this is all out of the box functionality. The only people who see the create action and other "manage" options for this are the authorized users ("Authors").

It is a lot like a (very very scaled down) space, without a space landing page/widgets/tiles/permission settings/etc.

AS for the links elsewhere in your community, that is something you edit in your them as usual?

Yes, I added the links through theming and new page management. Same as any other link or reference. You can also @mention the system blog ("@sugarbuzz"):

1 person found this helpful
                  Alex Nassi

Frank Field - I removed a correction I added to my post about the blogs showing up on /content. Just to be clear, they DO show up:

socketz

Alex Nassi

What's the advantage of hosting a blog within the context of the 'system" as opposed to within individual spaces?

If you use one of the blog display widgets, what do you point the widget at in order to display these system level blogs (normally a space is referenced)?

Or is this Jive-X specific as I cannot find a similar means within v8 hosted to create a system level blog.

I have seen content created within the context of the User object, but we turned that feature off as it becomes difficult to manage.

Frank Field

In my case (I'm Jive-x), it would allow me to have one location for "evergreen" content that is more marketing-related than related to the products my community helps provide information about.  For example, you might come to my community to solve a problem with a specific issue you're having. But in your searching you may also come across a "did you know?" type of post that will help you get more out of the product. For us, it's about an ongoing demonstration of the value of the product, from customer success stories to new features/capabilities to "did you know about this aspect of a feature?" kind of thing. Those probably would't be as valuable sprinkled throughout the community as they would in one spot. Example: https://blogs.office.com/

1 person found this helpful
                          Alex Nassi

I think Frank Field hit the nail on the head. I especially like "Those probably wouldn't be as valuable sprinkled throughout the community as they would in one spot.

For us, the Sugarbuzz example is the only system blog right now, created to supplement (and hopefully replace) a marketing newsletter going out to all of our customers aggregating blogs, upcoming events, and other content from executives and other department heads. Instead of sending one email comprised of ALL of the details, those types of posts are now individual blogs in Sugarbuzz, allowing for comments and feedback instead of a one-way announcement. We created an index/table-of-contents type blog (referenced above) which is essentially the body of the email sent to the customers. This has links to each of the ~9 "Sugarbuzz Blogs".

I can't speak for how this would work in Jive 8 or how it displays on the widgets (I'm working on cutting everything over to Tiles). I know this feature is available in Jive-n as well since our Jive-n admin (mviolante) and I have discussed some benefits of using this internally too.

You also wrote

I have seen content created within the context of the User object, but we turned that feature off as it becomes difficult to manage.

If by "User object" you mean where a user is posting content to their own person (e.g. "Alex Nassi's Discussions" or "Alex Nassi's Blog")? I also have this disabled as I want community members contributing to spaces. The system blog, in this case, gives an outlet for people who SHOULD have their own blogs to blog, without enabling that feature.

Frank Field

Alex Nassi, sorry to bug you, but I had a question...  I am testing this out and I'm getting entire posts showing up..  Under the nav in the blog: manage>options>content, there's an option to publish "excerpts." But I see no difference whether I publish excerpts or the entire post.  Is there something I'm missing?  Thanks!