14 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2017 2:32 AM by clairelesage

How is news populated on Jive-n 9?

danthomas

Could someone give me some guidance on how the 'News' feed in news is populated on Jive-n 9?

On our instance I'm seeing a lot of top and trending content appearing, is that:

• all top and trending from across the community
      • all top and trending from across the community that jive believes I may be interested in
      • just top and trending from the groups / people I follow

Thanks

Dan

Jive Developers

• Re: How is news populated on Jive-n 9?
          Ted Hopton

Good question, Dan, and I'll be interested to hear Jivers such as Jeremy Grant weigh in. My understanding is that Top & Trending is across the entire community, not personalized to the user.

danthomas

Thanks, I'm really hoping it's not as it'll create a ton of noise on peoples feeds. I'd prefer it personalised and if not, focussed in the specific top and trending feed.

Today, news shows top and trending across the whole community. Based on customer feedback, we plan to make it personalized to the user in a future release.

4 people found this helpful
                    Ted Hopton

Hey, Dan, I like personalization, too, but I think there are benefits to org-wide top & trending, as well. Think of it like the old days when there were just three major TV networks and pretty much everybody was exposed to the same stuff. I think the current top & trending helps to surface things for people that are of org-wide interest, and it becomes a virtuous cycle, since people clicking through to read those posts boosts them further in the trending algorithm.

When top & trending is personalized, I wonder what we will lose in terms of that viral effect. Will it become so fragmented that it's not very effective? Perhaps it will be smaller but more effective for those who genuinely are interested in those items -- that's certainly the intent of personalization, of course. How well Jive executes it will make a difference.

1 person found this helpful
                        Dennis Pearce

I'm with Ted on this.  In fact, I'm not even sure what it means to have personalized "top" and "trending."  It seems to me that the whole idea of those concepts is to let you know what is the most popular or most active recently across the larger community.  What does it even mean to say that something is "top for me"?  How is that any different from a basic recommendation?

What "top and trending to me" means is taking into account social signals and feeding news that's relevant to your workspace.

For example, looking at who you always read posts from, who your peers are, who you follow, your department, work location, what likes you've given out, the spaces and groups you visit, as examples. We have a recommender service that is gathering that information and takes all of these variables into account and assesses  the most important content items in top and trending should be for you. Think of it as personalized top and trending.

This is the same service that is feeding most liked and top content in the new profile. It is leveraging relevancy and social signals for the user viewing that content list.

2 people found this helpful
                                danthomas

Yes that makes sense but what i'm seeing is trending content from across the community regardless of whether i've looked at it, followed it etc. i.e. random things from film clubs, pet groups etc. When I say 'personalised' I mean relevant - if it's trending across the whole community that can't be just relevant content.

england_k

It wouldn't be so bad if you could choose to turn the volume down or

eliminate content entirely from top and trending. It would also help if the

promoted content actually worked properly. We were early adopters of the

news homepage and most days I regret it.

We've lost the heart of our community there is no option to "work out loud"

as the status update is now buried so deep to create and invisible for

users to see.

The news streams we've created work well but in businesses with little

content the user experience can be hit and miss with what they are then

presented.

Kim

On 25 Apr 2017, at 18:57, danthomas

danthomas

Thanks for the input. I may just send the navigation straight to the following stream rather than the news page and sell 'news' as jive wide updates. We'll see how it's looking in our test environment ,we've had a lot of feedback from colleagues around reducing social content surfaced from open groups, if the new news page surfaces even more we'll have to work around it.

Yes, I agree and is what I'm saying we need to change. It needs to use our recommender service and be more personalized.

danthomas

For us, top and trending surfaces a load of social content as that's what trends and gets shared in predominately open groups which can create poor perceptions of value for new users. I like top and trending too but when you ask for it, not in personal feeds, e.g. news to me news i've chosen to see, you don't have top and trending across the whole of facebook / twitter / other social platforms pushed into your main news feed, it's just what's trending from people you follow. Also it makes the separate top and trending tab somewhat limited as it's already in the main news tab.

2 people found this helpful
                                clairelesage

Hello
                                I  also find Top and Trending on Jive n very Noisy and sometimes confusing for our users.
                                It would be great to actually be able to promote some content and give them more influence.

Even if they are powerfull and they help users learn about information they are not looking for in the first place, I do not believe that only algorythm should always decide who is seeing what... especially in a professionnal environment : some content might not be "trendy" but they might be key to the company...  (even Google enrich their algorythm with human influence)