2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2017 10:45 AM by ryanrutan

Adding users to security group using REST API giving a 401 error

mayuriumranikar

Hello,

I am trying to add users to the security group using Jive REST API v3.14 → SecurityGroup entity  and my post looks like https://*****/api/core/v3/securityGroups/1004/members

It is a application/json where I pass in the URI of the member(s) I want to add -> {["https://rsa-preview2.jiveon.com/api/core/v3/people/2058"]}

I also know that the account I'm using has the admin rights. But I still get : "Jive returned a 401 status code. The operation is not authorized for some reason."

Btw, GET security groups works.

Can someone please help me in resolving this issue? I also referred to want to add members to a securitygroup with API but error 500  but it doesn't apply to me.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mayuri

• Re: Adding users to security group using REST API giving a 401 error
          Raj Vachhani

I had hard time to get it work. I was synchronizing the Active directory groups members to Jive. Try below function to generate the JSON. It works for me.

private string ConstructPeopleURLs(List<string> jiveIds)
                  {
                     // string[] arrJiveIds = jiveIds.Split(',');
                      StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();

for (int i = 0; i < jiveIds.Count(); i++)
                      {
                          if (jiveIds.Count() == i + 1)
                              sb.AppendFormat("\"{0}{1}{2}\"", JiveAPIUrl, "people/", jiveIds[i]);
                          else
                              sb.AppendFormat("\"{0}{1}{2}\",", JiveAPIUrl, "people/", jiveIds[i]);
                      }

string val = "[" + sb.ToString() + "]";
                      return val;

}

• Re: Adding users to security group using REST API giving a 401 error

One thing, the payload is an array of strings, so do:

["xxxxxx","xxxxxx"]

as the full payload...do not try to wrap it in a JSON structure.

Status code 401 means unauthorized.  Make sure you are using a rightly scoped admin token and/or that the user you are using ... as marked as an admin of that security group and/or has the appropriate Admin permissions to perform that request.

Hope that helps.

1 person found this helpful