2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 2:03 PM by Ryan Rutan

Creating a HTML tile using the Jive Rest API

jzawadzk

Hi,

I am currently trying to create a HTML tile with a specified content via the user of Jive API only.

I have figured out how to create a new HTML tile using PUT to /api/core/v3/pages/{page id} with the load that includes the following in the tiles[]:

{
        definition : {
          id : "1256",
          type : "tileDefinition",
          config : {}
        }
      }

I have also figured out how to change the content of an existing HTML tile, by updating the linked static object with a multi-part PUT to /api/core/v3/statics/{static id}:

--snip-30e8731a-b657-495d-b741-4155ea01ef2e

Content-Type: application/json

{  "cipherKey": "AES-xxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" }

Content-Disposition: form-data; filename="filename.html"; name="foo"

Content-Type: text/html

This is new content

However a newly created HTML tile from the first call does not have a static object assigned to it and I am not sure how to update a content of a tile when that is the case. The static only seems to be created when the user updates the tile in through the browser. The question is: how can I create a new HTML tile with a specified content with the use of Jive API and without a need for user to use the browser.

Thanks,

Jakub

• Re: Creating a HTML tile using the Jive Rest API
          Ryan Rutan

That's a good question.  I'll need to reach out internally to find out.

• Re: Creating a HTML tile using the Jive Rest API
            Ryan Rutan

jzawadzk , I just talked to one of our engineers, and this looks like this is a miss on the API.  When a static asset is created, there is key that is used through the HTML Tile User Experience.   Without this key, you cannot create the initial statics.  I'll put a JIRA in place for this item, but chances are that it is going to be a while before it is even looked at.

Sorry for the news.  As a work-around, if you have the ambition to update Tiles in similar capacity...you can achieve your use-case with a simple middleware solution that maintains references to an External Custom View Tile.

See: Creating Custom View Tiles

You can capture configuration information and you are given a dynamic update end-point for each Tile instance...where you can most likely achieve the same result.

While I know it's not the same, I hope that helps move you forward in some capacity.

1 person found this helpful