5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 12:24 PM by sherrivance

Water cooler: Slack and Jive

sherrivance

Our organization has pretty good adoption of Slack, and there are about 160 channels--some related to mission-critical work conversations, some to informal learning, others just for shared interests. Now that we have Jive, we're getting a lot of questions Slack and Jive--which should they use when looking for what? Our Jive community is in its infancy, and it would be helpful to hear from others who are using both Slack and Jive--how you help people get the best out of Slack channels and Jive groups, and how you help people tie things together. Thanks!

• Re: Water cooler: Slack and Jive
          austin.openshaw

I'm very interested in this too. Our situation is the opposite of yours, old to Jive, new to Slack. All of the documents/articles I've seen compare the two, I really am interested on how they can work together.

jgoldhammer

What are the use cases and business value for this kind of integration? Display slack conversations and channels in Jive? Interact from Jive? Send Jive files to a slack channel?

Thanks

Jens

austin.openshaw

Jens Goldhammer - for our use, I think being able to search for content from inside Slack, in order to send someone the link would be really beneficial. I could see it designed similarly to how Google Drive & Slack interact. The link would still go to Jive, but it would be searchable through an @ mention or "/".

sherrivance

Jens Goldhammer Our use case is not necessarily to technically integrate the two, but just to use both to their best purpose and cross-link between the two. In a Jive space/group on a topic, we would link the related slack channels. In the slack channel, we would pin the link to the related jive space/group. Also, to guide our users on the best uses of Jive versus the best uses of Slack. It seems like Slack is great for IM/1:1 & group conversation/posting links...but if the discussion becomes more in-depth or the desire is to save the string/results in a more durable format, then it should be recreated as a discussion in a Jive space. People often store documents in Slack as well, but this tool doesn't seem to be as effective at managing stored files. So, we're trying to guide our users to store their files in Jive rather than on Slack. But to be honest, Slack has a lot more engagement and grassroots adoption at our organization, and it feels sometimes like we're flogging people to use our Jive-N instance (our intranet) for things.

If programmatic links are possible, we'd like to create a slack bot that would search Jive for answers and fetch up search links (but not import documents).

jschlachet

Using Python and the slack/jive APIs, I've been able to bring some Jive stuff closer to my coworkers by using Slack. My slack bot posts a graph showing our team's Jive Points (or a particular user) over the month, plus a leaderboard to see where each of us stands. I just finished writing a bot command to post all unanswered questions in our space with links to each.

I'm curious how others are using Slack/Jive and what other ideas are out there.