3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2017 4:29 PM by Kara Francis

What would the correlation be between enabling or disabling externally accessible groups and standard users logging in?

Kara Francis

We disabled the ability for users to create externally-accessible groups on hosted Jive 8.  But it was reported that after that change, non-federated (non single sign on) users were no longer able to log-in.  They were being presented with an OKTA (our single sign on tool) log-in screen.  But since these users weren't on OKTA, they had no way of logging in.  I was told that once the setting was changed back to "enabled", then people could log in.

Can anyone enlighten me to the correlation between these two settings?

I personally never experienced the issue (I am non-federated), so I don't have good details.

• Re: What would the correlation be between enabling or disabling externally accessible groups and standard users logging in?
          julsee

Hopefully someone from Jive can answer this for you definitively, but to me it doesn't make sense that disabling externally accessible groups would remove access for Standard unfederated users. Is it affecting ALL of your unfederated users? You said that you are an unfederated user and it's not affecting you, so if this is the case, you might want to see if the affected users have been set up as "Standard" users or as "External contributors".

In our admin console, when you set up a new user, in the "create user" area, you are given the option to set the user up as "Standard" or "External contributor" (at least when the externally accessible  groups are enabled).

And when you search for a user in the admin console and click on their entry, you'll see a field called "User type." That's where you can see if they are a standard user or an external contributor.

Other than that, I can tell you that when our instance (Jive 8 hosted) is enabled for externally accessible groups, initially users receive a choice to click on Single Sign-On or Manual Login (I don't remember what the standard language is because we customized ours). But generally single sign-on users are automatically logged in and other users must select the other choice and then login.

When externally accessible groups are disabled, single sign-on users are automatically logged in through single sign-on and unfederated users are presented with a login screen.

Not sure if this helps, but it may be a place to start.

• Re: What would the correlation be between enabling or disabling externally accessible groups and standard users logging in?

Hi Julie and Kara,

Overall there is some good information in your reply Julie, though from the last part of your description:

When externally accessible groups are disabled, single sign-on users are automatically logged in through single sign-on and unfederated users are presented with a login screen.

it sounds like you might have a customization applied to your instance, as the option to display a "dual authentication" login screen, outside the scenario when externally accessible users are active, was not added into the platform until the current Jive Cloud/Jive 9 releases.

Instead the expected behavior for Pre Jive 9/Cloud instances would be:

External Contributors enabled - Users are presented with a "employee/not an employee" type login page

External Contributors disabled - Users are either taken to a Jive login page (if an SSO system is not in place) or redirected to the SSO system if one is configured

That being said, as you (Kara) also mention:

I personally never experienced the issue (I am non-federated), so I don't have good details.

It's possible your Jive 8 instance has a similar customization applied. For more information on the out of the box feature added into Jive 9/Cloud check out:

Jive 9 - Login Entry Pages

Jive Cloud - Login Entry Pages

As such, I would recommend submitting a case in your customer group ( MyJive Secret Support Group Administration FAQ ) as a next step so that a member of our support team can investigate further into your specific instance.

Thanks!

Kara Francis

Thank you to both of you.  My question is now answered.  We have a dual log-in screen (customization) on Jive 8, so when we disabled the externally accessible groups feature, the issue began.  (I was already logged in when the change was made, and then it was fixed before I needed to log in again, so that was why I didn't experience it myself).

This feature was disabled awhile ago, so when I noticed that it had been enabled, I turned it off - not knowing about this correlation.  So someone must have purposely turned it on when setting up SSO a month or so ago.

Glad to hear this is resolved in Jive 9, which we are upgrading to shortly.  We don't want our group owners to be able to invite external users.

1 person found this helpful