24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 2:26 PM by Sarah O'Meara

How can we help you differentiate Jive from competitors?

Sarah O'Meara

Hi Bay Area User Group!  Thank you so much for an awesome meeting last week, I gathered a lot of great feedback which I'll share with the team. I also had a great time meeting with everyone, and I look forward to the next user group!

One particular issue came up (thanks, Kim Nelson!) that I thought we can help you with - how do you differentiate Jive from competitors when trying to convince your company to renew with Jive?  Creating a compelling case is essential to success, and we think it's important to help you out by providing materials to use in those kinds of meetings. Prior to that, I wanted to gather some feedback from you (which I'll organize and then present to a wider audience in JiveWorks to gather even more feedback) about your prior experiences with these types of meetings and what you would find the most helpful from us.

Here is my question for you - What kind of questions or concerns come up when discussing Jive with your company? Functionality vs. price? Jive vs. O365, Salesforce, others? Are you looking for what Jive can do that competitors can't? Are you looking for a justification for the cost (i.e. by comparing Salesforce Teams and pointing out that the cost is not so different once you pay Salesforce for add-ons to create something useful).

Please be as specific as possible and I will work together with our teams (such as Sales and Renewals) to see what materials we can share and the best way to disseminate the information (based on use case? Competitor?) or materials that you can pick and choose.

My one concern about create slide decks or specific information about competitors is about how we would keep all this information up to date. We don't want you going into a meeting with outdated information. Keeping on top of that information means there can't be too many version of the slide deck sitting around.

I'm just thinking out loud at the moment, so please join in! Libby Taylor and I are looking forward to hearing from you

• Re: How can we help you differentiate Jive from competitors?
          Amanda Burke

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for raising this! I reached out to our IT Director and this is the response I received. Hope it helps - let me know if there's anything else you need from us.

When we were looking to replace the wiki (our intranet before we moved to Jive) a few years ago, we considered Sharepoint (either as a component of Office365 or as a standalone product).  I think we determined that the cost of Sharepoint did not make sense at that time, hence a decision to move forward with Jive.  Since then, Microsoft has restructured their offering so that when we moved email to Office365, Sharepoint was included with our license in addition to Yammer.

From my seat today, I’d be interested in a few thing:

1) Jive talks about integration with Office 365.  I’d like to understand what their selling points are as to why someone would want both (we are now in a position where we technically do own both).
          https://www.jivesoftware.com/products/extend/integrations/microsoft-office-365-integration/

2) When looking at them as competitors, I’d like to understand what their selling points are.  How do they differ and where they believe Jive excels over Office 365.

1 person found this helpful
            Sarah O'Meara

Thank you everyone for your feedback! This is your last chance to give me more input if there is anything you want to highlight before I craft another discussion for Internal Communities / external communities and begin pulling together a proposal.

I've already talked with a few people on the product marketing team who handle this kind of stuff on a daily basis (differentiating Jive / staying up to date on competitors). They agree this is an important idea and are working with me to see how we can distribute this in a way that is beneficial to you. 

Sarah O'Meara

Kim Nelson I'm totally calling you out . So far I only have comments about Microsoft. I know in the user group you extensively talked about Salesforce and how IT pushes for it but it requires extensive (and expensive) out of the box work to function well. Do you mind expanding on that a little bit? Anyone else, please feel free to jump in!

Also, are there any other competitors that your company is pushing towards?

communitygecko

One differentiation, something I now speak about with experience and it's so obvious it falls off the radar screen, is that Jive is built with the intention of facilitating engagement, interaction and flexibility. I know this sounds vague, but what I am trying to get at is compare Jive objects and UI to all the other platforms. Jive gives us a platform that I would argue is the "industry bar". Many other platforms (actually most except Lithium) do not have the rich choices of allowing all forms of interaction whether it be discussions, blogs, polls, ideas or documents. Many platforms either make it very difficult or even impossible to change layouts/look-and-feel (and this actually includes Jive tiles so I speak here from the perspective of using Jive widgets!!!).

In my current contract for Shapiro Cloud, I have the daunting task of making a new platform called Open Social work for communities. Under the covers, believe it or not, is Drupal! Almost everything I mention above is not happening. And to boot, I have to re-learn Drupal (I did some training in it a while back) because almost everything I need to do administratively is there in the Drupal admin console. Every time I want to do something such as feature a discussion, add a Twitter feed, add a FAQ or develop a Getting Started section I am re-inventing the platform because there is almost nothing to facilitate a quick addition like we have in Jive.

So, dedicate a slide which is generic and will not change dramatically, to highlight "Jive has all the pieces" which most platforms, who only have some of the pieces, do not have!

PS: There is room, in a very significant way, to up the Jive value proposition. Something I have been asking Jive for many years now: give true non-profit organizations a significant break, if not for free (based on very small size). Jive is missing a huge opportunity by taking the short view (low-to-no profit) instead of the long view (exposure, market share which all lead to bigger profit!). I could easily convince my non-profit customer to switch to Jive (and the conversion/migration is a piece of cake!) if only they got it for free (they are really, really small) or so significantly lower that it would feel like free. With your acquisition to Aurea, perhaps this starts to become a real thought?

Sarah O'Meara

Thank you for your helpful insights, Rob! We also need to talk about what Jive has (and not jus what it doesn't have) so this great feedback of something we can include.

As for non-profits, unfortunately that is a big decision that will take time to coordinate. I think it's a great idea though, thanks for the suggestion

tmaurer

I second the motion on non-profits. I had an opportunity for an inner-city school nonprofit (and they were part of a larger, country wide group of similar schools). Aside from so many obvious benefits to Jive, the long game here is sending kids into the workforce already understanding Jive. I seem to remember some other fruit-named company taking this approach....

Sarah O'Meara

One of the most satisfying parts of working for Jive is knowing the impact we can make for nonprofits and companies trying to make a difference. Don't get me wrong, I love the whole concept of collaboration and working better together but knowing that we can also use this for connecting people and making a difference is something I will always hold dear. I'll definitely bring up the nonprofit idea, although I suspect it has already crossed their minds.

mack_torres

I worked in the non-profit sector as an IT Director in San Francisco and Oakland for many years and I can tell you from experience that having low cost (hopefully free) entry points for non-profits is extremely important for growing the reach of the platform. I understand that having a free open source platform that can be downloaded would not be an option for Jive due to the complexity and how many servers and DBs involved. But for other platforms like Drupal and Wordpress, that is how Admins typically get software and learn the software being able to play around with it. How are you supposed to learn Jive if you don't have a license for it? Having a trial is not enough!

There needs to be a low cost Cloud hosted solution that limits the number of users allowed or has a sliding pay scale based on number of users or actual usage or something like that. There are other free solutions that are open source community platforms like Wordpress/BuddyPress that can do many of the same things that Jive does. You can usually find an Ideation or Gamification plugin if you are looking for a specific Collaboration feature or hire a developer that can just add in the features that are missing for cheaper than a one year Jive contract. I get that you want to hear about all the great things that Jive does but you need to also hear what frustrates Community Admins like me. I would have personally bought at least 10 Jive sites by now and setup sites for friends and family using it but it is just not affordable! Some kind of monthly low cost subscription model needs to be addressed.

kim.nelson

My biggest question/concern is about Microsoft / O365. Our entire company moved to O365 and we need to understand how Jive envisions differentiating and justifying its existing within that environment that is "essentially" free.

I mentioned SFDC as something we looked at a few years ago but decided to keep it to only sales only because it did not meet our needs and was very expensive.

Sarah O'Meara

Hi all!

So I had a meeting today with several people from Product Marketing and people whose jobs are literally to compare Jive to competitors and I'm happy to say it was an AWESOME meeting. They are all about this idea and interacting with you all.  While I originally said that I would post in Internal Communities to get a broader understanding of what was needed - that was to convince Jive of the customer demand for this.  It looks like we didn't even need it

We will be rolling out a subspace in the Customer Hub very shortly (and when I say very shortly, I mean I already have designs and content in mind with deadlines of next week). It will be a place where you can visit as needed to find the latest news on competitor updates and white papers on essentially "Why Jive" that you can utilize when the tough questions come from your company about the value of Jive vs. competitors.

I will definitely need your help to give us feedback as we flesh out the space about what specific content would be helpful for you and we encourage discussions and specific questions you may have. We even have people who will be available in the space who would be willing to set up phone calls to talk with you directly about what pressure you are facing and how we can help.

If you are willing, I'll reach out to you guys when the space is ready and have you give me some initial feedback. Once we have resources and content ready we will advertise the space for all customers who need extra assistance when approached by stakeholders about how Jive is different than competitors.

Please let me know if you have any questions, advice, or concerns!

Thanks again for bringing up this great topic in the last BAUG!

4 people found this helpful
                              Sarah O'Meara

On Monday I will open the new space - called Jive vs. Other Solutions - to everyone who has posted in this thread. I would love if you could check the space out and let me know if you find the design helpful along with your initial thoughts (it's a bit sparse at the moment but we will be building it out over time) before I roll it out to the public.

If anyone else would like a sneak peek of the space, please let me know and I'll add you as well!

Sarah O'Meara

I have another update for everyone. We have decided to put the Jive vs. Other Solutions space on hold for right now. With the introduction of Aurea Prime where customers not only have access to Jive but also a variety of other Aurea products for free, the messaging on ROI will shift quite drastically in the coming months.

Even though the space will not be public or frequently updated, I will keep the space and the content where it is. If you would like to access the Jive vs. Other Solutions space, please let me know and I will add you.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!