4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2019 11:12 PM by michelle.gantt

Best Practice for managing User Groups

I'm going through our community to see if the spaces and user groups are still correct. What I noticed that we have lots of user groups with only one or a few people in it that need admin or moderate rights, what results in a lot of user groups.

I wonder what your experiences are: what golden rules do you use for managing user groups? When do you use a override instead of creating another user group? How do you prevent to many user groups?

• Re: Best Practice for managing User Groups
          Sandra Flanagan

This is our current group review process:

• Whenever someone requests a new Group/Space on the intranet, I ask them to fill out a form to determine their objective, the amount/type of content they have to share, etc. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of that form letting them know that if they request a Place they will be expected to maintain it and ensure that all content is kept up-to-date, and that we'll be performing regular content audits of all Places. Just so they have a heads-up and know what to expect. Then I create their Place, give them admin rights, and train them.

• We have a group on our intranet which I manage for all Space/Group admins, where they can post questions/comments, and share ideas. I post instructional resources there as well.

• We conduct a group audit every six months or so. I've been browsing the list of all groups, sorted by latest activity: oldest first. Then I'll typically send an email to group admins who have had no activity for the past six months, to let them know we're doing a group audit to clean up the community, see if they would like assistance, and send a gentle reminder that any groups with no activity will be deleted.

This is what Jive recommends in terms of best practices:

New group review process
          Group review process

We still have yet to conduct a Space audit but after we upgrade to Jive 9.0, that will be next on our agenda

6 people found this helpful
              ingevwb

Sandra Flanagan Interesting, And do you really close places (groups), if after your audit the group still has little evolution? And if you do it, how do you close the group? Put it on outdated,  delete it or  .;;??? How do business react?

I also read in the review process that you have to focus on high value groups. Do you or any else have criteria to categorise groups according value? 

giriraj.harkut

Very interesting process, but managing a huge user base is it really practical solution for large orgs ? Also as I came across even if space/area deleted the underlying content is never deleted and hence still consumes space on servers.

Thanks

Giriraj

michelle.gantt

When you delete a space, all content that lives within it is deleted. You will see that when you go through the space deletion process, there is a warning that tells you this. If you find that this is not happening, please open a support case.

If you keep on top of reviewing groups and spaces, it isn't too big of a job. Unfortunately, I find that most customers don't put a process in place until it their spaces/groups are out of control - and then it is a huge job! If you set a monthly or even weekly process in place where the ECM reviews what is considered "dead", then it is manageable even for the largest companies.

See Group review process for a sample process.