2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2017 5:34 AM by ingevwb

Best Practice for managing User Groups

susannebrands

I'm going through our community to see if the spaces and user groups are still correct. What I noticed that we have lots of user groups with only one or a few people in it that need admin or moderate rights, what results in a lot of user groups.

I wonder what your experiences are: what golden rules do you use for managing user groups? When do you use a override instead of creating another user group? How do you prevent to many user groups?

• Re: Best Practice for managing User Groups
          Sandra Flanagan

This is our current group review process:

• Whenever someone requests a new Group/Space on the intranet, I ask them to fill out a form to determine their objective, the amount/type of content they have to share, etc. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of that form letting them know that if they request a Place they will be expected to maintain it and ensure that all content is kept up-to-date, and that we'll be performing regular content audits of all Places. Just so they have a heads-up and know what to expect. Then I create their Place, give them admin rights, and train them.

• We have a group on our intranet which I manage for all Space/Group admins, where they can post questions/comments, and share ideas. I post instructional resources there as well.

• We conduct a group audit every six months or so. I've been browsing the list of all groups, sorted by latest activity: oldest first. Then I'll typically send an email to group admins who have had no activity for the past six months, to let them know we're doing a group audit to clean up the community, see if they would like assistance, and send a gentle reminder that any groups with no activity will be deleted.

This is what Jive recommends in terms of best practices:

New group review process
          Group review process

We still have yet to conduct a Space audit but after we upgrade to Jive 9.0, that will be next on our agenda

6 people found this helpful