8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 5:40 PM by lauren.hogue

Complaints about notifications from new, extremely active user

oonagh.m

I'm looking for best practices for how to handle a couple of extremely active users that have started marking things as helpful and leaving comments on content. It's only been a few days, and I've had several complaints from other users about the number of notifications they receive because of these users.

I don't want to discourage people from being active in the community, obviously! But this is like 50+ notifications from one users, and it's all either comments like "thanks, super helpful!" or marking every comment in a thread helpful, triggering notification overload.

Should I tell other users to unfollow some places to stop getting so many notifications? The most challenging thing is the helpful notifications. I don't know a way to turn those off except for one by one selecting hide new activity in the inbox.

Any suggestions? I thought when we rolled we'd have to beg people to log in, but we're having the opposite problem!

• Re: Complaints about notifications from new, extremely active user
          Megan Truett

Lauren Hogue had a great way to get users to like content instead of the ‘thank you … thank you …'

lauren.hogue

As Megan mentioned, we've had a group of newer community members join our existing community and they've been leaving comments on all kinds of content all over the pace (in many cases it's several years old and irrelevant, or could be a document specific to one office location that doesn't apply to them) with the comment ranging from happy faces, 'thanks', 'useful', 'nice', 'congrats'...etc.  I agree, you don't want other users to unfollow content or places that are of value to them because others are misusing functionality--especially if a few are the ones responsible for all the noise. I've found that the few who are really noisy generally aren't adding much value today anyway--they mean well but are currently most interested in points without realizing that their actions are bothering others. I completely agree with what Ashley and Sarah have said below and think there's a lot to be said for properly managing your inbox and notifications (looking forward to that document in the works), but you should also be able to participate in a lively discussion and not receive 10 or more comments in your inbox simply saying thank you.

To handle this, we've revitalized our "like = thanks" campaign and encourage community members to leave comments only when they have something that adds to or moves the conversation forward. We ask that they also only mark responses as helpful when it is truly helpful and should be noted by others.  We've provided information as to why this is important including: to keep everyone who has already participated in the discussion from being notified of your new comment; to make it easy to read through comments without having to skip lots of 'thank you' comments; etc. I've also used the analogy of a CC/reply all email--it would be inappropriate for everyone on an email to reply all just to say "thanks'--same goes with a discussion.

On a discussion where I see several "thank you" type comments pilling up--especially my how-to content, I'll leave a comment acknowledging and thanking everyone for their recognition and encouraging them to keep finding great content and information in the community. However, I remind them that they're encouraged to click like next time because "like = thanks" (sending them to the tip blog on this for details). In some rare cases--generally more extreme when someone has commented on 20-50 documents in the last 10 minutes--I'll also send a note to that user requesting that they stop while providing information about why what they're doing is causing disruption for others. I always thank them first for their engagement, explain that I want to let them know how their current behavior is affecting others because I realize they are new and may not know, and then providing a few ideas as to how they can positively participate. You'll be able to decide in each instance what the right approach is but this is my general response.

As an aside, we also turned off email notifications for mark content outcomes because that was causing lots of spam too.  Users will still get notifications in their community inbox, but at least they don't receive an email that someone else's comment was marked as helpful.

Good luck!

2 people found this helpful
              ashleyholman

Hello! When people feel that they are having notification overload, I suggest they look at their preferences. More often then not they are following a group or a person in their inbox, when really they don't want/need to. We like hone in on the fact that your inbox is for "need to know" information and the custom streams are "nice to know" information. If there are a few very active people within your community and you are receiving complaints, I would suggest that you coach those that are complaining to re-evaluate how they are following that person and not necessarily the group/space.

As for the highly active culprits, you may want to coach them to evaluate how they are participating in the community. If their "thanks, super helpful" comments are not adding value to the conversation, or furthering the conversation, perhaps they consider using the "like" button instead.

Good luck!

1 person found this helpful
                  Sarah O'Meara

Thank you for bringing this topic up, Oonagh, and thank you for your great advice, Ashley.

We are actually working on a best practice document for using your inbox. We will be publishing it in JiveWorks soon. It is exactly as Ashley explained, the inbox should be for important items that you need immediate updates on. Otherwise, using streams for other notifications is a great way to keep informed without the noise. We will also post a best practice document about using streams efficiently, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, here is the documentation for creating custom streams for users to organize what they are following: Creating Custom Streams / Cloud:  Creating Custom Streams  (if you are on Cloud)

1 person found this helpful
                  Sarah O'Meara

Following up, here are a couple documents about streams and inbox recently posted in JiveWorks: Getting Started: How to Manage Your Inbox & Getting Started: Creating and Managing Custom Streams. Hope this helps!

2 people found this helpful