1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 9:00 AM by mcollinge

Accessing variables like user properties in Jive 8 HTML widgets

jima92119

I need to present the current user with a single link to a document, but that document (or content) will vary depending on a property in the current users profile.  I am looking for suggestions and have considered the following:

Use an HTML widget to access the user property and dynamically generate the link on the fly.

Use a document viewer object and dynamically assign the document based on the user property - not sure if this doable...

Use a featured content object and dynamically assign the content based on the user property - not sure if this is doable...

I any case, the first thing I need to do is recognize and then act on the user property.  Does anyone have any examples of this working in Jive 8 in an HTML widget?

Thanks all.

• Re: Accessing variables like user properties in Jive 8 HTML widgets
          mcollinge

I can't think of a way to do this with just HTML + JavaScript. User properties aren't accessible via the REST API (which you could have used with JS). Our community created what we call a SuperWidget, which is a beefed up HTML widget which can contain Freemarker code; that allows us to get a level deeper, and pull out things like user properties, or system properties, to help with getting new features onto the site quickly.