3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 12:42 PM by blake.scott

I'm struggling to know which Message Template match with actual messages that get sent from my instance

kristamahler

Is there an easy way to figure out which message is which?  Are their better descriptions/definitions of the words used in the Message Template section?

Part of my problem is that I don't speak html so the code within the message template section is confusing.  I'm getting specific messages, that I want to edit, but I can't seem to figure out which template matches this specific message.  Any help or guidance would be amazing. 

Thanks!

• Re: I'm struggling to know which Message Template match with actual messages that get sent from my instance

Hi Krista,

A good way to do this is to check out the Description section of the templates page, which provides a description of each template's purpose and why it will be sent.

Once you think you've found the right template, you can confirm that by using the Preview option.  Click the Preview button on the template, then scroll down and hit the second Preview Button.

That will then show you a preview of what the email will look like, which should help you confirm that you're looking at the right one.

Best,

Blake

• Re: I'm struggling to know which Message Template match with actual messages that get sent from my instance
              kristamahler

I have been doing this and am still struggling.  Any chance you could help me figure it out if I include a screenshot of the message I'm looking at?  I'll provide my thoughts on which it is, but the "preview" isn't working on the ones I think it is.  I just shows dummy text and I'll share that screenshot too.

So, this is the message that I'm looking to personalize/enhance.  It is auto sent when a "private discussion" is started through an API between our website and our Jive instance.  JCS helped us create this automation.  The members in the private discussion are member of our Jive instance and members of the group that is externally accessible.  The email below is a test email that I got, but I can't figure out which template it's being created from.

My instinct says it should be one of these templates because of the external activity, but I'm unclear.  And when I open these, I can't match up the text directly.

Also, when I click on preview for these templates, this is what I see...which is not helpful.

it could also be this template, but again, I can't seem to confirm for myself.

and again, the preview isn't helpful.

Do you think this message isn't part of the templates because it is being created by something within the API connection?  I would think the message would still come from one of these templates.  I don't see any templates that are specifically related to "private discussions" which is mentioned in the email.  I also don't see any templates related specifically to externally accessible groups etc.

I could go to JCS to ask, but wanted to try to solve this myself first.  Do you think I need to start a case?

Thanks!

Hi Krista Mahler,

From the information that you've provided, it doesn't look like either of those are the template being used.  The key unique text in the email you provided is "contact a parent", and I'm not seeing that in your examples.  It certainly looks like a custom template is being used, because that language is something specific to your use case.  What I would do to troubleshoot this is to take a look at all the templates that have been customized, which will all have an entry in the "Customized in" column of the Message templates page.  Open those up, then use the find feature (command + F on a mac) to look for "contact a parent", or even "has created a new" or "with the following comments".  If you're not finding those phrases, that isn't the template.

If you don't find the right template in the Message Templates list, I would reach out to JCS, since they created this customization.  If they cannot help you identify the template, then I would reccomend you create a message template in your JiveWorks secret Support Group.

Best Regards,

Blake Scott