11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 6:03 AM by historian

Featured people

sandra.e.marini

Hi Michelle Gantt - I was wondering how we could feature the people of a group on the home page of that group.  The featured people tile only allows a certain amount of people so that won't work.  also, it is only available down the sides and not in the middle panel of a page so that would make the page very long even if I used multiple people tiles.  I don't seem to be able to create a super list tile to link to the members of the group as I thought that would be a solution but it doesn't accept the url when I try to use this.

any suggestions.

thanks

• Re: Featured people
          michelle.gantt

Just copying a URL into a superlist tile won't ever work - you have to copy the URL that comes into the modal window when you click the "use this view in a tile" link in the bottom right of the content tab. It's a differently configured URL that what comes in the URL field in your browser.

You can put a people list in the superlist tile, but only from the main People tab so it won't work to put members of a specific group to show up on the home page of a place. I wouldn't recommend that you put a complete list of group members on a landing page anyway - just direct user to the People tab from the landing page, maybe? I think it would get too noisy or distracting...how about the leaderboard tile instead?

sandra.e.marini

Thanks Michelle - I really do want all the people displayed as I am creating a content owner group and want them all to get to know each other.   I don't want a lot of 'stuff' on the landing page - focusing on highlighting discussions (once the super list tile issue is resolved)  and just highlighting key spaces that I feel have been well developed.  However, as it can't be done, I will find another work around.  I don't really want to use the leaderboard as I don't want to focus on a competitive element.  appreciate the quick reply.

Helen Chen

Have you taken a look at this custom tile?  https://community.jivesoftware.com/community/developer/blog/2016/06/14/a  This is another method for displaying team members in a place.  I have teams that have more than the supported number of members - I recommend they use the tiles a couple of times to break down into some logical subteams (Management/worker bees or by project names)

The one downside is that this requires manual upkeep when members join/leave. 

Hths!

1 person found this helpful
                    umillm6

Hi, Sandra. One suggestion I heard at JiveWorld and loved was using the Banner Tile to feature people. You can have a ton of images that way (up to 300). You will have to scroll through, but you can randomize the images to change every time someone visits the page, so new people would show up each time.

3 people found this helpful
                        lorilea

Maren, I know that the tile says you can have up to 300 images, but it only allows you to show 5 – so when you say that you would need to scroll through, can you clarify that a bit? I thought this sounded so cool and threw up 7 images to test. I'm not sure why the tile allows up to 300 and then you can only see 5. Where does the scrolling come in – in the configuration area? Thanks!

umillm6

Hi,  Lori. You are right - you can't scroll on a Banner tile, that is the Image Gallery tile. But you can't have individual links matched with each image in the Image Gallery. So I don't know if this is the best work-around, after all. We hadn't had occasion to use it yet, I saw it JW and thought you could scroll. If you refresh the page, you get different images each time, but unless you title the tile "Our Team - 32 members" - how would you know if you've seen everyone? Perhaps a View Document tile with an invisible table holding each person's image and linking to their profile? If the table was wider, it might prevent scrolling.

lorilea

Maren, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Because sometimes I am! What we've done with some of our groups where they wanted additional banner "space" was to stack banners on top of each other. That could possibly work for a smaller group of people. Not so convenient if you're going for a larger number.

sandra.e.marini

Hi Maren Beckman - I have created a document with a table and @mentioned all the relevant people as I didn't see any other way to do it.  We have an issue with people not updating their profiles so I wanted to use this as a prompt as it would be quite visually obvious who was updated with avatars etc. 

sandra.e.marini

Thanks Maren - I guess the difference with this is that you are just loading their image instead of allowing access to their profile to gain their contact details etc.  But I guess I could link to their profiles - will give this a go.