3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 5:06 AM by kristengastaldo

Why can't I add a category to a shared blog post?

kristengastaldo

I've got a few employees who use their own personal blogs in Jive. I periodically share those blogs to the appropriate space. I don't see a way to add a category to those posts. Is this intended functionality? Tags are there ... but no categories. Can't trick it with bulk mgmt either.

• Re: Why can't I add a category to a shared blog post?
          Billy Volpone

This is actually working as it should since categories are space/group specific. So since personal blogs don't actually get stored inside of any sub-community area (they attach to the profile of the user instead) they don't have categories as an option. In my experience, I've seen lots of community managers turn off personal blogs for external facing communities so that all posts need to live within a group. Just sharing them inside of a space doesn't actually move the content into that area. Have you thought about taking that approach at all?

Toby Metcalf

Hi Kristen,

I agree with Billy Volpone and in addition, I have found that most personal blogs to not get too much traffic, thus the knowledge gets lost.  Have you ever reached out to bloggers welcoming and encouraging them to post to a specific product space?  When I find something interesting, but the owner does not move it, I sometimes post in the right place with a link directing readers to the blog.

Have a great rest of the week.

Best,

Toby

kristengastaldo

Thanks Billy Volpone and Toby Metcalf - That makes sense. I wasn't thinking that it doesn't actually live in the space, but that makes sense. I have encouraged employees to blog in spaces only, and that's typically where the post - but I've got some older content I'm looking to use. I may have to move the blogs and redirect the links to take advantage of category tagging on that content.