74 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 6:07 AM by marjoriewebb

Questions from 2017 Aug 22 Jive/Aurea Roadmap Webinar

Ted Hopton

I miss Q&A on Jive webinars, including in the chat window. I liked the openness and transparency among Jive's customers and employees during those exchanges. Seems like those days are gone now that Aurea has acquired Jive.

I'm still an advocate of transparency. I'm starting this thread for Jive customers to post the questions they have for Jive/Aurea from the webinar this morning. I don't know if my question I submitted during the webinar is actually going to be answered, or if it's going to be edited so that it appears differently, or if it will be attributed to me. I tried to post this in the Customer Hub but customer questions don't seem to be allowed there. Since the webinar was all about Jive-n, I guess the next best place to post is in Jive Internal Communities.

So, here's the question I submitted and I invite others to reply with the questions they submitted and new ones that have come to mind since the webinar ended. The ending was inauspicious, I have to say, since we were told at the start that there probably would not be time for questions and that was the reason they would be answered later in some form or another... but the webinar had 15 minutes of scheduled time remaining and instead of answering questions we were "given back 15 minutes of our time." I would have rather used the time for questions.

My question:

• Regarding simplification of analytics:
        • Which will the "one source" be? I sure hope it's not the data that Community Manager reports use, since that data is highly problematic.
        • What does this "simplification" mean for the Data Export Service (DES)? Will we continue to have access to that transaction level data?
        • Re: Questions from 2017 Aug 22 Jive/Aurea Roadmap Webinar
          lorilea

My question would be that since it seems that expected features, such as tiles, are being rolled into the fee-based Platinum Service, will the pricing structure of Jive be adjusted to accommodate that? Or are we going to have to pay extra to get what used to be considered the basics? Jive customers have been begging for better tiles for a very long time. Where does this leave us in that regard?

6 people found this helpful
            susannebrands
            • Is hosten/ on prem on a dead end?
            • What Tiles were they talking about? Did they mean the tiles we use on the news page and activity pages or were they talking about something else?

On your story I totally have to agree on the fact that there was time for questions and I felt like we were being ignored by them. It feels like they didn't receive positive feedback during the webinar en choose not to respond. I also heard a lot 'we from aurea' and 'they from Jive'. I also hoped to hear more about 2017.1, will it still be the same or do they have some extra new features that will release.

First webinar since the Aurea take over that left me with a bad feeling.

2 people found this helpful
                gbrettmiller

Re hosted / on prem, I got the impression that yes they are on a "dead end" path. From the "What you get slide", the only thing h/op will get beyond Phase 2 for the Enterprise Edition (and Phase 1 for Standard) is "on-going investment in quality and maintenance". I interpret this to mean "we will make sure what you have continues to function but we won't be adding any new features." How long that continues into Phase 3 and beyond likely depends on how many customers remain h/op.

My impression of "Tiles" in the context of the Aurea Platinum Support was that these are existing Aurea products/services that unfortunately share a name with the feature in Jive. It was the comment that there is "special pricing for Jive customers" to purchase these tiles as part of Platinum support that led me to think this. (Since who else but Jive customers would use them if they were Jive tiles?)

1 person found this helpful
                    Jonathan Block

I'm not sure I got the same impression.  As I heard it, all the tiles and other features that were previously one-off purchases from Professional Services would be bundled together under a single package.  Perhaps they'll clear this up for us with the promised FAQ.

As others have mentioned, I'm concerned with the incentive structure Aurea has to devote all future tile development to the premium tier, leaving the basic product users to the existing, in some ways unsatisfying tile selection.  To be fair, Jive had the same incentives previously, but the fact that the presenter thought only 3-4 tiles exist in the current offering is certainly a bad sign.  Another opportunity for clarification:  Will there be new and improved tiles for standard users, and will the premium tile set be distinguished by some special characteristic(s)?

tmaurer

That was my impression of hosted/on-prem as well.

Julie Cardinali Brancik

I'm an external community manager.  Something smells rotten in Denmark for us Jive-Xers.

CC: External Communities

gbrettmiller

The Webinar Recording: Jive + Aurea Product Roadmap is up over in the Customer Hub. While we (customers) can't create new content in the hub, we can comment on the existing content, including videos.

Libby Taylor

Feel free, in the future, to post your questions like these to the invitation in the customer hub, such as: Register Now for the Webinar : Jive + Aurea Product Roadmap, or you could also post questions on the posted webinar recording: Webinar Recording: Jive + Aurea Product Roadmap.

We disabled open discussion in the Customer Hub because it was becoming a junk drawer of random questions. We want questions to pertain to the content that is posted in the Customer Hub and that ability is still enabled.

3 people found this helpful
                          l9rezn

Hi,

My question relates to GDPR and what steps Jive is going to do to stay compliant.

Thanks!

Lea

england_k

I've now had a chance to listen to the webinar in full. I kind of wish I hadn't, I'm now more concerned than ever.

jgoldhammer

Being a Jive/Aurea partner I can share your worries and concerns here.

Everybody should understand that Aurea replaced a lot of former Jivesoftware employees with own Aurea employees believing to understand the business in a short time. As a result we have seen two webinars (roadmap and partner webinar) which showed us that they need more time to understand the business, how customers think and how the jive community works. The information are not detailed enough yet and they are very defensive in terms of timelines. This is quite normal when you take over a company with a big platform and new people (sales, marketing and engineers).

Working as a consultant and engineer I can fully understand that such a big platform needs time to reorganize- Jive started in 2001 and is full of old mixed technologies. Aurea has announced that they want to make the platform solid with unit and integration tests. If the code is not written that way to be testable it means a lot of time for rewrites.

I know the world is changing fast - please be patient and address all your concerns here, but give Aurea time.

ryanarsenault

Jens Goldhammer  wrote:

I know the world is changing fast - please be patient and address all your concerns here, but give Aurea time.

Sadly, time isn't an option for many of us who have been stuck in the middle of all of this, and have invested thousands to get a community up and running. I fully believe that Aurea may build something, and it will be great.....for the customers signing up then. For the folks stuck in the middle of a two-year window of rough customer service and Aurea figuring out the business (AKA myself and many on this thread)....not to mention a lack of communication altogether for Jive-X....it frankly is supremely disappointing.

jgoldhammer

We are a Jive-N on-premise customer and fully understand these concerns.

We have also invested money and time into the platform and have to evaluate the future after on-premise deployment model will stay in maintenance mode. By the way, Jivesoftware indirectly announced the deprecation of on-premise/hosted versions with the AWS migration, but Aurea made a clear statement now!

My thoughts and assumptions as jive customer for the current situation are (no official statement!):

- Aurea lost more people from Jive software than expected. This has made a big gap in almost all areas. This is totally visible in support at the moment. We have also an important performance issue running since begin of July and have no real progress. I understand- we are a small customer and if you have only some support engineers left, big and more important companies will be served first. Maybe the team has shrinked so much that they are not able to handle all requests.

- Aurea maybe underestimated the complexity of social business collaboration + online communities and the good jive community with lots of superb community heros and leaders. There are many use cases and trends - and you have to build the knowledge to get on the same level as your customers. We need to understand that Aurea comes from a total other business before.

- Aurea wants a return on their investment. When Aurea only wants to concentrate on existing customers (and only wants to invest 20% of budget for winning new customers), they need a plan for upselling. Platinum support and extra packages are a good way doing this. Nevertheless the problem here is that the pricing of Jive is not competitive anymore in comparison to other platforms- customers already pay enough for the platform and it is no good sign to announce that they want to have more money for extra features. The balance of what you pay and what you get is very important- and Aurea does not recognize at the moment that there are many, many competitors on the market...

- Aurea has a cloud only strategy and will force customers to migrate to cloud. The problem here is that they will loose much customers because Jive Cloud today lacks important customisation options (you can only add features, not modify any) and some companies have strict compliance rules so that cloud is no option for them. That was always a big plus for Jive that you can customize a lot if you need so. In future, this will not be possible anymore with Cloud only.

Thanks

Jens

4 people found this helpful
                                            lallison

Jens Goldhammer with all due respect this is easier for you because your platform was on the title slide of the road map deck. Jive-x was only briefly mentioned and when it was the words were not encouraging. I have been through three M&A on both sides. I understand the complexities but I also know when someone is deliberately not sharing information.

Jonathan Block

One additional bullet for your list, purely speculative:

- Aurea might not be accustomed to picking up companies that have an active inter-customer portal like JiveWorks.  They may not have fully planned for the fact that we can react semi-publicly to their statements, compare notes on issues, share our impatience or frustration with progress or the lack thereof, collaborate on product feedback and then realize it may be years before that feedback is actually implemented, etc.  If customers are relatively isolated from each other, frustrations aren't amplified in the same way, and that may buy more time for retooling and/or turnaround before anything develops into an open revolt.

mnevill

- Aurea has a cloud only strategy and will force customers to migrate to cloud. The problem here is that they will loose much customers because Jive Cloud today lacks important customisation options (you can only add features, not modify any) and some companies have strict compliance rules so that cloud is no option for them. That was always a big plus for Jive that you can customize a lot if you need so. In future, this will not be possible anymore with Cloud only.

I just wanted to mention that if people are forced to Cloud, there are some things you lose in addition to more customization options.  Cloud customers also do not get access to the databases (system, EAE, and analytics).  I know there are many current customers that rely on these for custom reporting to prove the value and ROI of Jive to their executive teams.  You can't get this granular data from CMR and DES.  I asked if this was something that would be exposed to Cloud customers in the webinar.

5 people found this helpful
                                                    Julie Cardinali Brancik

I never wanted to go to cloud due to the reporting issue.  It is my biggest sore spot.  Now we have cloud and there is no way to get the data I need.  DES is absolutely, completely worthless.

czurcher

I also do not know if we can ever let go of having access to the db or the full Admin Console, Matt. We use both SO extensively - there are SO many things that you can just fix/do by having the ability to execute one SQL query, or change one system property. Without that ability, I would feel like I was trying to drive with my teeth. Having used Jive as an On-Prem customer now for 8 years and having spoken with Hosted and Cloud customers, I am honestly not sure if I can ever give up the ability to make the quick changes/fixes that we have been able to do. My developers at this point are able to make changes in < 2 hrs that Jive PS sometimes estimates at 2-3x that much. We have upgraded from 3 all the way to 9 (about to deploy in Sept). I don't know why I would ever move to Cloud.

lallison

Agreed! ryanarsenault If they need so much time then there should be some concessions given to customers that are hanging in the balance.

Libby Taylor

Thanks Jens... agree with everything you say.

czurcher

<major snark alert>

Thanks for starting this Ted Hopton. I watched the webinar as well, and I also posted questions/comments during it and was equally disappointed that they didn't actually answer/take any questions during the webinar (no cameras/recording devices will be permitted during the press briefing...), and was also left with a deep feeling of dread and foreboding after attending. While I recognize that they said this webinar was focused on Jive-n and that there would be a separate one focused on Jive-x, there were an awful lot of things that set off alarm bells ringing.

As a Jive-x, On-Prem customer - the statement that Jive's core mission is to support, essentially, the internal use-case (while not surprising) doesn't make someone with a large External Community have a lot of faith/confidence in Jive/Aurea to continue to support what we need. Forking the code-base because it requires a different strategy may just mean that it's easier to leave the Jive-x folks in the dust than it ever was.

"Special Jive Customer Welcome Pricing!!!" for Platinum support (which is *different* than Jive Platinum support) and for the Admin Essentials Plugin - something many of us have had and used for years for FREE - is just one more example of what we can all look forward to from the new Aurea/Jive. Paying more for what you already had - at special welcome pricing - how exciting! Sign me up.

<thus endeth the rant>

4 people found this helpful
                                                    b.taub

I would hope that senior leadership at Jive/Aurea is made aware of this thread - especially since OP and the responders represent a who's who of important Jive sites and customers with a lot of visibility and clout within the larger Jive community.  Reading this would give them a clear outline of where angst and uncertainty remain in the customer base and where they need to provide concrete information - quickly.

I would respectfully suggest that an actual effort be made to calm the herd.  You won't like what happens when they move as one.  Even better - a great indication that they are listening and taking these concerns seriously is to show us that you are drinking the Kool-Aid and reply directly to this thread.

Frank Field

I dunno about senior leadership, but my account manager is aware..

Libby Taylor

They are aware... Sarah O'Meara and I are keeping them in the loop and we're discussing the best way to respond.

AnnaKravets

Libbi, I think it's important to have fast responses from them - there's no official replies to comments here by now

Jonathan Berkowitz, John Schneider hope you will comment here asap and answer the questions raised in detail. Jive is marketed as a tool to smoothen mergers and acquisitions, so let's use JiveWorks to full extend here.

We expect active communication from Jive/Aurea side not only via webinars but via Jive itself.

Jonathan Berkowitz

All -

There are multiple threads in Jiveworks on the webinar with questions. We are going to address them, either inline or by creating a single FAQ out of these.  Let me mention two things quickly, because they are common concerns:

1. Welcome pricing

Many Jive customers do not have access to the technology or services we discussed in the webinar, Admin Essentials or the services available in the Propack. Welcome pricing is designed for customers that do not have access to these things, but would like to take advantage of them. If you already have access to these things under your current contract, then you will retain access as you always have according to the terms of your contract and the welcome pricing won't change that.

2. Cloud vs. Hosted / On-Premise

We do not have a cloud only strategy. We are going to continue to both support and innovate for our hosted and on-prem customers. Huge improvements in quality, stability, infrastructure modernization, performance, usability and mobile. It is true that the cloud edition will be our primary platform of innovation over the long run (3-5+ years), but as we see in the results of the webinar polls and in discussions with customers, a large majority have interest in cloud migrations.

Thanks for your questions!

7 people found this helpful
                                                              lallison

Some of us have been responding on the Road Map recording post https://community.jivesoftware.com/videos/12474#comment-3393268  Here are my comments from that thread:

I was extremely disappointed with the call yesterday. As a Jive customer of 8 years I expected to be able to at least ask questions. Instead we were muted and then cut short even though there was 20 minutes left for Q&A. What decisions need to be made about Jive-x, that you are selling it off to Lithium as we have all heard? I have heard the same as you robpleticha

We have been waiting for the upgrade to 2017.1 for two months and now you are telling Jive-x customers we have to wait another 5+ months to even join the queue. This is not the speed of enhancements we were promised when moving to cloud. I have bugs that have been awaiting a fix for over 9 months now, some even date back a year because I was told I am "the only one" reporting this issue. And as Dennis Pearce reported, I too have been waiting for case resolutions some sitting for 7-8 days before a first response. And this is on the Platinum support model. Now I hear you want to charge even more for platinum support.

Seems to me you have made a decision to move forward with Jive-n and leave your Jive-x customers flapping in the wind. Disappointing is not strong enough for how I feel. Jive used to be a cutting edge product with a terrific team that was excited about their customers and innovation. Now it's about pricing models, up charges and a one way conversation.

3 people found this helpful
                                                                deeparamesh

I didn't manage to attend the webinar and have just listened to the recording.

On the positives, I am quite excited to hear that there will be a focus on Knowledge discovery with an investment on Intelligent Search. This is something we have been asking for a while so I am interested to learn how search will be improved.

However, I echo Ted Hopton's question on 'Simplification of Analytics'. I agree that there are inconsistencies between CMR and cloud analytics. So what exactly does 'simplifying' mean? Hopefully this will mean better analytics and not worse!

My next question is on Admin Essentials. I echo Christina Zurkawicz's comments above. Honestly I am disappointed that this is going to be something that we have to pay for in addition to our already expensive package. This should be part of the existing subscription as a Jive customer. Some of the tools, we already have, and they shouldn't be taken away at a price. Some of the content management tools are improvements we have been asking for years.. 'Ghost blogging', 'Author change', 'Life cycle management' etc. This cannot be part of a new 'welcome pricing'!!

My last question is on 'Gold Support'. We already pay extra for this service. What does it mean for us in the new Aurea/Jive world? Nice to hear about 'Aurea Platinum' but I want to reiterate that we already pay Jive alot on our current subscription so 'Aurea Platinum' is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks,

Deepa

Libby Taylor

Hey everyone,

Sarah O'Meara and I are pulling together a set of FAQs from this thread as well as the other threads. It will take a few days for us to collate them all and find the answers (and in some cases we won't have the answers yet) so please be patient.

FYI Jonathan Berkowitz John Schneider

7 people found this helpful
                                                                    Morgan Johnson

A few questions we had:

1. What specific bug-fixes and tile equivalents can we expect to see in 2016.3.8 and 2017.1? (some key things we would like to see are super-list metadata, recent activity tile, ability to edit Key Dates and Helpful Links, etc.)

2. Should we expect any additional tiles to come as part of our current service package, or will they be at an additional cost?  Which tiles will come standard, which would be at an additional cost?

3. Can we get further clarification around what the options are for customers who are not able to migrate to cloud?  The webinar gave the impression that moving to cloud would be inevitable, with varying time frames.

Ted Hopton

Another question related to the webinar's announcement about the timeline for 2017.1:

• What is the impact of this delay on fixing current/new bugs? I was just told by Jive Support that the issue I reported with handling images in Chrome is "fixed in the 2017.1 release." I asked if he really meant I have to wait about a year for that fix and he confirmed, yes, that's correct. I'm not at all happy to hear this, both for this particular annoying bug and for what it suggests about how slowly bugs in general are going to be fixed over the next year or so.
                                                                        laurenpoole

We are also very interested to know what exactly is happening with community manager reports Vs community analytics and how they will be merged. We use several CMRs on a regular basis so really need to know what is happening with these.

adave004

Hi Jive,

We also are very concerned about how Jive is going to be compliant with the GDPR.

In order to meet compliance requirements, no EU Customer of Jive will be able to use the product in its current form after May 2018 as the product prevents data subjects from exercising their rights under the GDPR, eg right to be forgotten, right to data portability.

We need visibility of the Jive plan during the next month (September 2017) to enable us as Jive/Aurea customers to become compliant - this must include which versions will be updated, and the roadmap for moving from a non-compliant version to one that is.

Regards,

Avnee