12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2017 12:55 AM by denise.church

Looking for an engaging presentation

denise.church

@Hi all

I am due to present at a forthcoming meeting to promote Jive among our workforce. At the moment the engagement levels are low, so I was looking for a fun and engaging game or activity i could use to get people interested and enjoying Jive. Does anyone have any ideas, or anything they have used? I only have 15 - 20 mins for my presentation, but was hoping to perhaps send out a challenge to everyone before hand and then have some interactive gaming on the day?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Denise

Hi Michelle Gantt, just spoke to Ann Washington and she said you may be able to help with this inquiry? I did post the question to the community but only got a couple of responses. Also, I was wondering if I could select individuals to join the challenge or if it has to be a specific group - perhaps you can help?

Thank you

Denise

• Re: Looking for an engaging presentation
          jrafter

What's the  purpose/use case of your community?

denise.church

We are using Jive as an intranet, but also as a collaboration space for projects and working parties.

Helen Chen

How about setting up a quest to find key content, people or places? This way you can demo the value of sharing corporate knowledge, and you can introduce to concept of quests, points and badges. It could be a variant of your on-boarding quest.  You can announce winners with the most points or per business org or other criteria during your session. 

1 person found this helpful
                    jrafter

So I think, in general, there are a couple struggles when it comes to low engagement. The first is just getting a user to the community and getting an account( and hopefully a weekly digest) setup. The second is having content and processes that create enough value to keep users coming back( and remember we rarely have control over intrinsic motivators), the difficulty is that members determine what's valuable(those pesky folks ). Do you have any ideas or inclinations as to why engagement is low? Because if you have a barrier in mind there might be a creative way to address that barrier in person.

That said, Helen Chen's suggestion about a quest that guides them to content and places is a super easy way to demonstrate value of your community(provided you understand where the value is, which can be really hard in new communities!). The caveat, from personal experience, is an  affinity for gamification varies wildly .

Another way to do this is to send out questions and have people search for the answers, then have them answer in the meeting and reward with a small prize. It honestly just depends on what behavior/knowledge you want to reinforce at this moment in time in  your community( community navigation, search, q and a, etc.).

Another suggestion may be to create a poll around the feedback on the Community for example: "What needs to be added to the Community?" and then use this as an example to talk about collaboration/access to collaborators and maybe you could announce an action item "I really heard you all wanted "x" and I'm going to put some thought into "y"". You could ask them for ideas about how they could use this to collaborate in their own work, reward answerers with a small gift. This may also be a clever way to flush out people that are excited about the community and may want to serve as a community advocate later.  

Also, I love being optimistic, but if you have low engagement and are going to require pre-work, just put a little thought into a plan b in case no one does the pre-work. I mention this because it's a challenge for my users, we have a culture of "busy" and it's often hard to  get an ask answered. Although, I have been continually surprised by the positive voices in our slow growing community.

2 people found this helpful
                        Helen Chen

There are so many great points in your response, Jessica Rafter.  I did find that it is a certain personality type that likes the points, especially given that our Jive points are not tied to the corporate rewards system where they can get physical rewards like gift cards and stuff.  I look at the presentation opportunities as a way to share some information but mostly to connect and create a relationship. I do this so that people connect me with what they are trying to do in the community and  will reach out when they have questions.  This model would be hard to do with huge communities but I have always found that the personal relationship with people opens many doors. 

denise.church

Ann Washington, can you suggest anyone that can help please?

michelle.gantt

denise.church: Sorry for the delay in reply - I think you got some good ideas from Jessica and Helen above (thanks guys!).

When you are first trying to get engagement in your community, it can be a good idea to combine intrinsic (I can do my job better) with extrinisic (I get something from someone else for participating) motivators. In the long run, it will be more about the internal motivators. As mentioned above not everyone is motivated by points in a community, but everyone likes a gift card as a prize for doing something!

I usually recommend something similar as the suggestions above: a "scavenger hunt" of basic tasks to help users get used to the platform - but in a fun way.

• Seed the community with some things they have to go find.
                        • Maybe they need to join a private group to see the next item in the scavenger hunt list, for example.
                        • Have them find something very obscure in someone's profile
                        • You can back this all up with a quest as suggested above, but it's really more about making the tasks themselves fun and relevant to the corporate culture. The quest can help you track who has completed everything but I would give maybe the first 10 who complete it get the gift card.

Another idea I've seen a customer use is a "get your colleague to post an avatar" contest. So this is more about collaborating with someone else to do something in Jive. If you get someone else to upload an avatar photo, you post a status update in a group (for example) and you are entered into a contest where you can win that amazing gift card.

If you're looking for some inspiration for things to show in your presentation, I love this video from Stephen Lamb at BCIT: Get in the Loop! - YouTube. If you can get an exec to create a video that will tell people why they should be using the community in an engaging way, this will go a long way to showing employees that there is support from the top.

Jive has a very polished video on the home page of our corporate site: Collaboration Software Solutions by Jive Software

And here are some things that others have posted:

Hope that helps!

Kathryn

• You can back this all up with a quest as suggested above, but it's really more about making the tasks themselves fun and relevant to the corporate culture.

Michelle as always has great advice, and her comment about it being relevant is so critical.  If people think the platform is "fluffy", the last thing you want to do is have a "fluffy" contest.  If the goal is to make sure people understand the business value, then the task have to be super relevant.  Otherwise, you've just confirmed their suspicion. 

I'm also a fan of having things they need to do alone, and things they need to do as a group (to show the power of collaboration).  I did see one company whose leadership team said they would do something fun (in this case it was post a picture wearing some interesting head-ware ) if enough people liked a particular status message (that had a business message). 

I'm all about fun, but it has to have a "so what" attached, otherwise, it is just a stunt that won't have lasting impact.