3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 12:21 AM by gregu777

Upload a XLS file to jive group PS/Curl/Postman

gregu777

Hello everyone,

after 2 days of trying doing this myself, i think i will have to give up as nothing worked so far for me. I have read most of the discussions here, as well as other portals.

I wanted to upload a file from my local drive to our company jive , where my team has a group.

Here 'Upload a local file using the Jive API '

it was explained how to do it with curl, not sure what i am doing wrong, but this is not working for me. Also not sure if somebody managed to do it, as it seems that json is not valid ( tags section is missing  " " ).

Even if i put "" for the tags section, it still does not want to work. I tried to do this with postman but i suppose that i send bad data there :/

Has anyone tried a successful attempt to do it using powershell/curl/postman ? Or maybe is there a document that describes what/how has to be sent ?

On the picture below it is : 'conetnt' , i already changed it to content, but still the same.

Update---

I actually made it running with curl, all i changed was the : "tags": "d", to : "tags: [api_upload]  . I do not understand, why this is correct form, any ideas ?Has anyone made it work using powershell ?

Greg

• Re: Upload a XLS file to jive group PS/Curl/Postman
          gregu777

So i was digging a bit more, i have understood why there is [  ], that just represents array.

Curl example is working ok, now i need to somehow do it using powershell. Invoke-webrequest can not support multipart, i already so on internet example of those calls, so now i need to try to do it.

Right now what i don't understand in curl example is the -F ....;type=application/json  , -F ...;type=text/xml   . I tried to make calls to httpbin.org/post to see what my curl example send, and i did not see them, any idea what are those for ?

gregu777

For all of those that can't use curl on linux, while running it from windows:

curl -k -u user:pass https://site/api/core/v3/contents -F "json=@C:\\jsonPayload.json;type=application/json" -F "file=@c:\\1testfile.txt;type=text/xml" -X POST -v -i

This will work just fine. Now back to powershell

gregu777

Ok, i got it working managed to find all i needed in the web.

https://www.snip2code.com/Snippet/396726/PowerShell-V3-Multipart-formdata-example

So looking at this example, i adjusted it to call our jive . Tested it twice, and it worked just fine.

I will leave the code in case somebody will be looking for this.

$FilePath='C:\test\curl\12testfile.txt'

$CODEPAGE = "iso-8859-1" # alternatives are ASCII, UTF-8

# Read file byte-by-byte

$fileBin = [System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes($FilePath)

# Convert byte-array to string

$enc = [System.Text.Encoding]::GetEncoding($CODEPAGE)

$fileEnc = $enc.GetString($fileBin)

# Read a second hardcoded file which we want to upload through the API call

$importConfigFileEnc = $enc.GetString([System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes("C:\test\curl\1jsonPayload.json"))

# Create Object for Credentials

$user = 'someuser'

$pass = ‘somepass’

$pair = "$($user):$($pass)"

$encodedCreds = [System.Convert]::ToBase64String([System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII.GetBytes($pair))

$basicAuthValue = "Basic $encodedCreds"

$Headers = @{'Authorization' = $basicAuthValue}

$boundary = [System.Guid]::NewGuid().ToString()

$LF = "`r`n"

# Build up URI for the API-call

$uri = 'https://site.com/api/core/v3/places/31500/contents'

# Build Body for our form-data manually since PS does not support multipart/form-data out of the box

$bodyLines = (

"--$boundary",

"Content-Disposition: form-data; name=`"file`"",

"Content-Type: text/xml$LF",

$fileEnc,

"--$boundary",

"Content-Disposition: form-data; name=`"json`"",

"Content-Type: application/json$LF",

$importConfigFileEnc,

"--$boundary--$LF"

) -join $LF

PS C:\Users\gregu> Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri -Method Post -ContentType "multipart/form-data; boundary=$boundary" -Body $bodyLines -headers $Headers

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri -Method Post -ContentType "multipart/form-data; boundary=$boundary" -Body $bodyLines -headers $Headers

payload file contents:

{

"authorship": "author",

"type": "file",

"visibility": "place",

"parent": "https://site.com/api/core/v3/places/31500",

"subject": "111This is my uploaded test file43",

"tags": [api_upload],

"content": {

"type": "text/html",

"text": "11T1his is my description for the upload file",

"name" : "12testfile.txt",

"size" : "14"

}

}

Obviously, you can make it way better/prettier, but i was just trying to make it working.