6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 8:06 PM by Sarah O'Meara

Open invitation not converting to member

eneufeld

Hi,

I have just created a private, unlisted group in our community and sent invitations to join the group. What's happening is that even though the email goes through with the invitation and the person clicks on the link to join the group, their status does not change from "Open Invitations" to "Members". My most immediate need is that I need two invited people to become members so I can promote them to owners.

• Re: Open invitation not converting to member
          Sarah O'Meara

Emily, just to clarify - even if they navigate to the group through a new link, they are unable to gain access to the group?

You are on Cloud, correct? I'm testing this right now as well.

Sarah O'Meara

Emily I was just testing this in Cloud and this is what happens on my end:

I (the administrator) sent an invitation to a user who is not a member of the group.

I log into my test user's email and see that I have received a notification. I click on it and I'm prompted to log into the Jive instance. Once I log in, I'm automatically directed to a page saying I've been invited to a group and once I click accept, I'm automatically taken into the group I was invited to.

OR (by logging into the instance rather than doing it through email)

I log into my Jive instance and click into Notifications in my inbox. There is an invitation to join the group. I click accept. Then I can click on the group name to get directed into the group.

From the administrator's perspective, I can see that my test users is now a member:

Are you sure the two people you invited accepted the invitation? If they navigate away from / close the screen they still won't become members. It's only after confirmation that their status will change to member.

I'm personally not experiencing the issue you are describing, but maybe someone else has.  If you could also walk me through the process step by step maybe we can pinpoint the issue. I'm sorry you are running into this!

eneufeld

Thank you so much - I didn't know they had to click accept on their end. Yes, we're on cloud.

So I just tested this on my end and I got the test user to click accept for the same notification.

After they've clicked accept, they're still in the open invitations category.

I don't know why he isn't switching over. Any thoughts?

Sarah O'Meara

Sorry for the constant clarification - I'm not sure the distinction between your test user and the person actually experiencing the issue.

My first question is regarding the test - once your test user accepted the group invitation, was the test user able to access the group?  You can also check (as your test user) by clicking Your Places under the dropdown avatar menu. The group should appear.  If that works for you, then it doesn't seem to be a site wide issue.

My question for the real life user experiencing this issue - have you reached out to Mitchell and confirmed whether he accepted the invitation or whether he is able to access the group? The screenshot you provide is something I frequently see when users have registered in the community but do not realize they have one more step, which is to go into notifications and potentially scroll down a bit to accept the invitation. Otherwise, they will have an indefinitely pending invitation and it will always look like there is an open invitation (because it is ).

You can also try resending the invitation (there is a Resend button to the right, which you can see in your screenshot) which should pop up the notification as unread again and he may accept the invitation this time around.

Thanks for your patience on this!

eneufeld

Hi Sarah,

I appreciate the questions because I'm trying to understand it myself!

My first question is regarding the test - once your test user accepted the group invitation, was the test user able to access the group?

Yes, once they accepted they can access the group.

My question for the real life user experiencing this issue - have you reached out to Mitchell and confirmed whether he accepted the invitation or whether he is able to access the group?

I watched him confirm the invitation and it still didn't push him to a member, but he is able to access the group.

I have resent to others, but after doing some reading - shouldn't the user whose been invited not have to manually accept the invitation anymore? My biggest issue is that it's fine for most people if they don't do this one step, but the people who I need to make owners of the group are saying that they have accepted and still haven't moved to Member. Am I missing a step for accepting their membership? I know for Private groups, it says the admin needs to approve membership, but I've never figured out where to do this.

Sarah O'Meara

eneufeld I apologize, I missed this comment!

You are correct in that admins need to approve the membership, but if you created that group you are automatically listed as administrator which you can also tell because of the screenshot you provided, that can only be seen by admins. However, even if you weren't an admin Mitchell/invited users would not receive the invite until an administrator approved your invite request, which isn't the case.

Let me try to summarize the issue:

1) You invite users

2) They receive the invitation (meaning your invitation made it through the admin approval process/you are the admin)

3) They accept the invitation

4) They can access the group, see content and create content

5) BUT they do not show up as a member in the member list

When you say "make an owner" do you mean make an administrator?