5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 10:26 AM by gbrettmiller

Does "Table of Contents" work for anyone? Or anchored tags?

Frank Field

Hi, all...

I was asked if we can do anchored tags on a document.  A search led to using Table of contents to achieve this. But the little "table of contents" option in the RTE doesn't seem to do anything.

And it appears via my searches in JiveWorks that anchor tags are stripped out of html. 

Anyone here accomplish anchored tags?

Anyone here ever get the Table of Contents to work?

Thanks!

• Re: Does "Table of Contents" work for anyone? Or anchored tags?
          Helen Chen

I use table of contents a lot.  The key is to make sure you are using Headers styles as that is what winds up in the TOC.  It is very similar to using TOC in Word or Google Doc.  

Anchored tags definitely get stripped out.  I avoid html as it is so frustrating.  We logged that as a bug a couple of years ago, but I am not sure what happened with that. 

Helen

1 person found this helpful
              Frank Field

Thanks, Helen Chen, That's a start, but how does it work?

If I select Heading 2 and then click "Table of Contents," what does that do that I can use?  I've never used anchor tags or ToC in Word or Google Docs. But looking that up, I don't really see what it does. If it's supposed to be clickable and take you to another part of the document, how do I make it do that? I don't see documentation about this in the community.

Thanks!

Helen Chen

It essentially creates a list of links so that your reader can easily scan and find out what are the major topics in this document.   Links can be indented by the use of the different Heading tags.  It is an alternative to the anchor tags your user is looking to use. I recently wrote a blog post within my own community describing this as in document navigation so users can get to the content they want without reading lots of other stuff. 

Here is an example in the Jive Developers space.

https://community.jivesoftware.com/docs/DOC-232840

Notice that the headers Overview and Common Queries are at the top of the table of contents because they are the first headers seen in the doc.

In your experiment, make multiple lines. Select various lines individually and use different heading styles.  Now add the TOC at the top.  This should show you how this works. It will make more sense if you have more sections in there. 

Helen

4 people found this helpful