7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2017 12:35 AM by gsvivek

Pulling list of people by profile field

christine.murray

Hi all,

I wanted to see if anyone knows how to pull a list from their community based on a profile field? I'm trying to see how many people I have from a certain location in our community from the "work location" field we created, but I don't seem to be doing something right. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Chrissy

• Re: Pulling list of people by profile field
          Helen Chen

Have you looked at the Community Management Reports?  Check out the Profile Completion and download the CSV file.  Use Excel to compile whatever profile data you want. 

christine.murray

Thanks for the suggestion Helen. When I do this, the "work location" field comes up as a bunch of numbers, not actually a location as it's seen in the community. Do you think this is a bug?

Helen Chen

I would go back to your user profile and confirm what you have for profile fields and how content is being populated.  My community has a profile field called Location and we pull this over from WorkDay as our system of record.

Once you understand that, then you can go back and look at the data being displayed in the CMR.  It sounds like that field isn't what you want it to be. 

BRENDA PROFFITT-WOLFE

HI Christine,

This sounds like the ongoing bug JIVE-73720 where select profile fields are displaying numerical values.  We have been experiencing this issue for over a year and are still waiting for it to be resolved.  I run a Profile Completion report every month and spend quite a bit of time manually cleaning up the fields I need as the report displays numbers instead of the actual data.

Brenda

1 person found this helpful
                      b.taub

Christine,

As BRENDA points out the display of the data is the product of the bug she cites, but the underlying data is likely correct - but the field you are looking in the Jive Custom Profile fields is probably a "Single-select" field - meaning that a user can only select one value, or it is a field that is pulled in from an HR system such as WorkDay that Helen mentioned.  That means that you can set up a translation table to do the translation for you.  Something like:

Value In Excel

Meaning in Jive

Boston Office

San Francisco Office

Dallas Office

So, build that table once and copy that it into the sheet you are working in.  Then add a column to your main sheet called "Location Value" and the formula for it would be a VLOOKUP to the the translation table.  That will fill in the real values for you in your main sheet automatically.  Look at the Excel help for VLOOKUP - a very handy function for Excel, that gives it more database-like functionality.

Ben

1 person found this helpful
                    gsvivek

If you have access to the Jive DB, this is pretty straightforward. All you need to do is run the following queries:

-- This is to get the list of profile fields and their ids so that you can use the id in the next query. If you already know the id, you can ignore this.

select * from jiveprofilefield;

-- Basic user data is in JiveUser table and user profile data is in jiveUserProfile table. Just update the fieldId from above query

select u.firstName, u.lastName, u.email, up.value

from jiveuser u, jiveuserprofile up

where u.userid=up.userid

and up.fieldID=1;

If the profile field is a drop down or a user selection, you will need below query:

-- Basic user data is in JiveUse tabler, user profile data is in jiveUserProfile table

-- In case of dropdown profile, the values are present in jiveProfileFldOpt table

-- Just update the fieldId from above query

select u.firstName, u.lastName, u.email, pfo.fieldValue

from jiveuser u, jiveuserprofile up, jiveprofilefldOpt pfo

where u.userid = up.userid

and pfo.fieldId = up.fieldId

and up.value = pfo.optionID

and up.fieldID = 1;