4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2017 12:08 PM by dane.slutzky

Export of Group Metadata / List of groups on our instance

Olivia Garvelink

We are working on an audit of groups, of which we have 897 on our jive-x instance.

I pulled two reports from the DES -- ACTIVITY_CREATE_SOCIALGROUP and ACTIVITY_DELETE_SOCIALGROUP, put the files together, alphabetized and then weeded out all the duplicates (i.e. a group that was created and then deleted). I was left with less than 180 groups. So, there are a TON missing and I don't want to add them all manually. I can't find any rhyme or reason that that many groups would be missed by the DES report.

What can I do!?!

Claire Flanagan can you direct me?

• Re: Export of Group Metadata / List of groups on our instance
          dane.slutzky

Hi Olivia,

I'm about to post a script that may help with your audit.  It provides more information than the DES explorer on each active place.  I'll post a link here once it's available. 

This script also runs against DES, so it will only include places that have had activity during the date range that you select.  It won't include places if they haven't had any activity.

Thanks,

Dane

dane.slutzky

Hi Olivia Garvelink,

Here's the script that I mentioned earlier:  Place Engagement Script .  It will provide more information about each place when using DES. 

I'm also curious what information you're looking for with this audit.  Do you need a static list of all of the places, not just the ones that have activity?  In that case, it might be better to use the application database or REST API.  This is something that we can scope as a custom PS report if you're interested.

Thanks!

Olivia Garvelink

Thanks Dane Slutzky I'll take a look! We have two goals here: 1 is to get a list of groups with info on their latest activity so we can reach out to groups that have not been active in a while and ask them if it is okay if we delete them. 2nd goal is to then be able to sort/filter/categorize the rest of the groups so that we have an idea of their purpose - for example, 50% of the groups are for Co-Branding initiatives, or 80% of groups are in English/for the Americas, or 15% of groups only include dealers. We would manually be categorizing/filtering them obviously, but that's why we want a comprehensive list.

dane.slutzky

Olivia Garvelink, thanks for the additional information.  The script that I posted (or the CMR Place activity report) will show the places that have had activity. Unfortunately they won't include places that haven't had any activity during the time period.

If you're looking for places that may not have had activity recently, I'd recommend using the REST API, which is connected to the core application.  If you have access to the application database on a hosted instance, running a SQL query will be an easier way to get a list of places.  This is also something we can create as a custom report in Jive Professional Services.

Hope that helps,

Dane