8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2018 7:37 AM by Jason Khoury

Anyone know of useful UI/UX conferences that align with JIVE?

toonzer

Hi there!

I am looking to budget out my year for training and conferences and wanted to reach out to the Jive community and see if anyone could chime in on which ones they have gone to and.or which ones are most useful for us Jive users.

Right now we have the Jive user group in Palo Alto bookmarked to attend in the spring.

Also looking at this one: UX Week 2018 – The Premier UX Design Conference

Any thoughts, comments, ideas or just some good old fashion links would really be great!

Thanks!

Amy

• Re: Anyone know of useful UI/UX conferences that align with JIVE?
          Jakkii Musgrave

Hi Amy,

What are you looking to get out of a UI or UX conference with regards to Jive? Are you looking at front end (e.g. visual layouts and design), architecture (e.g. information architecture, navigation, content structure), user research, overall interaction design? Are you specifically looking for events in the San Francisco area, or the US more broadly? International?

I may have some specific or personal recommendations depending on your needs, but as a starting point there's a great roundup of upcoming UX conferences here: https://uxdesign.cc/the-best-ux-and-design-conferences-in-2018-the-definitive-guide-23ccb3eec22b

Cheers, Jakkii

1 person found this helpful
              toonzer

Hi Jakkii,

Thanks for responding to my post, I really appreciate your time. I am looking for both front end & architecture. I have been a front-end developer and graphic designer for over 20 years, but Jive is a new kind of platform. Somewhat like other CMS I have used, like WordPress, but very different as well. I feel a bit like I am going backwards in time to how we built content in the late mid 2000's so I want to make sure I have a shiny NEW UI/UX take on whats going on in the world and how I can use it to build my Jive world here at Amex.

This is a great link you sent! Thanks, I am in Arizona, so west coast is best for me, but we are willing to go where the best information would lead us.

cheers~

Amy

2 people found this helpful
                  Candace Loya

Hi Amy,

You are correct when describing the UX of Jive. I have been working in it for more 2 years now and came from Web Content and UX/UI using Drupal, HP, Wordpress, and even SiteCore. Where Jive has some simplifications with the preset tiles and widgets, it does not allow for easy customization or development of a smooth user experience. In fact I find, like with many CMS components, I have to make it do what I want in code and pray that the codes actually work. I have yet to fin a simplified, minimal click, method to develop the Jive widgets, tiles, spaces or groups on Jive-n or Jive-x. What would normally work in Web, does not work in community and I would love a webinar session, course, or conference that trains Jive UX/UI and how to provide a easy to navigate experience for users without having to provide constant detailed instructions for use. Please feel free to reach out and we can discuss what I have found works well versus what does not.

toonzer

Hi Candace,

I have only started working with Jive about 4 months ago so you have quite a bit of time on me.

I haven't built any widgets yet, and i'm not sure I will even be able to do that for awhile, as the team here has everything locked down tight. I'm hoping after I get all my content migrated over 100's of pages from our old SharePoint intranet, I'll be able to start pushing the tool a bit more to customize the UX. Fingers crossed! It sounds like its an odd beast anyways and yes, I would love it if Jive would do a conference like WordPress does WordCamp. Maybe by the time I'm ready next year they will.

We can certainly put that suggestion in the box and see if it gets wings! 

I'm not sure who or where we would start that suggestion/discussion so if you do - I say let's ask?

Thanks for your input - this is great to talk to some veteran jive users!

cheers~

Amy

mack_torres

We have the Jive Bay Area User Group tomorrow that I am hosting and Social Edge will be there presenting some great Tiles for Jive that makes it look more like Wordpress on how it renders content. The Mosaic Tile and the Blog Tile are the ones our users are most excited about.