4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2018 8:41 AM by sscullion

Google Tag Manager

ctinoco

Is it possible to integrate Google Tag Manager with Jive platform? At present we have integrated Google Analytics through Admin console but would prefer to use Google Tag Manager

• Re: Google Tag Manager
          pbroadley

I'm working on this now. It sounds like the GTM code needs to be added into the theme as there's no place for it in the admin console. There are 2 code snippets to be added: 1 in the <head> of the page and 1 right after the opening <body> tag

1 person found this helpful
            sscullion

Great to hear of others with GTM interest!

Yes, GTM can be added.

If you're on cloud, you'll need to request via a support ticket to have this applied, I'd recommend requesting the following:

• enable the Vendor code(legacy) tab under Third-party analytics with the system property __jive.analytics.thirdParty.legacy.enable = true
            • add Google Tag Manager code snippet under the Vendor code(legacy) tab
            • provide the GTM code snippet - be careful with the pasting of the JS in the support case, from experience I've seen it loose a space here or there, and change "quotes"!

Note that on cloud the placement in the Jive source isn't optimal as per Google's instructions, however it does seem to work.

If you're hosted or on-prem, you can have this added into your core theme, which gives you more control over the placement of the code in the source, or via the approach outlined above, setting the system property to enable the Vendor code(legacy) tab under Third-party analytics.

I hope that helps get you set up!

I'd love to hear more on what you're looking to do with GTM, anything beyond the GA config?

I've done a fair bit with GTM for Jive, setting up event tracking, custom dimensions, search events and more. Always enjoy comparing notes.

Let us know how you get on!

Simon

pbroadley

Thanks for the tip Simon. I'm on hosted, so I wasn't sure if I was able to add the 2 snippets into the legacy tab in the admin console. Do you think that inserting them into the theme source code is a better option?

Right now I'm looking to set up some event tracking to measure the effectiveness of our link placement.

sscullion

Yes, I'd say the source is the preferred option. You can then add the two snippets in the correct place in the DOM as per Google's instructions.

Right now I'm looking to set up some event tracking to measure the effectiveness of our link placement.

Great! It gets very interesting when you can start to see not just pageviews, but actual behaviours and interactions with elements. There's heaps that can be done.