5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2018 3:38 PM by gregor.scott

Suggestions for when Community Manager leaves the company

christine.murray

I'm going to be leaving my company in 2 weeks as I'm moving out of state, and was wondering for any tips/tricks to phase me out of my community.

I'm currently in there as my name, and everyone has single sign on, but wanted to know any best practices for removing a community manager from an internal community? Thank you!

• Re: Suggestions for when Community Manager leaves the company
          clairelesage

Hi

thanks for raising this question.

I'm not willing to leave at all, but I think being successful is also being able to handover a mission.

Here, I do a lot of reporting but I know there are a lot of small decisions, actions that are made out of tacit knowledge.

Over the last 2 weeks I would take note of everything I do and  explain the reason why I'm doing it this way (out of a feeling, adecision, or because you tried everything else... ? ) to give a community manager F.A.Q. to my successor.

Then I would communicate to my "champions" to introduce the new person as an opportunity to have a new point of view and new skills.

1 person found this helpful
            ashleyholman

Hi Chrissy -

Are you looking for technical tips/tricks or more soft skill tips/tricks?

I can provide some advice on the soft skills side. I know my situation isn't exactly the same, because I am the community manager that took over after our original community manager left. But I thought I could still give you some advice. If your replacement is known, I would suggest posting a farewell blog to the community and announcing the new community manager. From there, the new community manager can work on updating information (think training material, key contacts, etc.) as necessary. If you a replacement hasn't been identified, you could do something similar with an interim community manager.

Best of luck with your move!

christine.murray

Thank you and Claire for your suggestions - they're very helpful!

I was also wondering kind of from a technical standpoint. So in our community, we don't have a generic account, I am me if that makes sense. So I don't know which of the following options I should choose when I have someone "remove" me from our community:

Please let me know what you think.

Helen Chen

I would just deactivate and revolk admin permissions.  

When I have had changing of the guards, I have also gone through all the spaces/groups the person leaving owned and added duplicated permissions for the incoming CM.  

gregor.scott

If you use federated user groups and you want the user that is leaving to be removed you have a bit of a dance to go through.

My understanding is that the user's federated group membership is only adjusted when the user logs in.

This means that if you no longer want to see the user in the federated group membership as represented within Jive then you need

• Remove the user from the group setup in the federated groups source environment (eg. within Active Directory)
                        • Change the user's password
                        • Login to Jive as the user and log out again

This should then have cleaned up the Jive perspective of the federated groups, and you can complete the deactivation via

• Deactivate the user
                        • Revoke their exiting Admin rights
                        2 people found this helpful