5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 8:49 AM by b.taub

Looking for advice for new CEO using Jive

kim.nelson

We have recently announced a new CEO at our company. I would like to provide him with some specific, creative, actionable ways to engage employees using Jive. I would love to hear from other community managers to find out:

1. How does your CEO use Jive (specific tactics) - Weekly blog, asks questions, AMA, videos, status updates, etc.
      2. Any great questions/discussions your CEO has started with employees?
      3. What benefit / engagement / feedback have you received from employees in response to the CEO communications using Jive?
      4. Who posts / manages (CEO directly or someone else) - how does that affect authenticity?

What does the highly engaged CEO do different than others?

Thanks in advance to this awesome community! Can't wait to hear your ideas!

• Re: Looking for advice for new CEO using Jive
          patrickroelandt

I run a smaller IT company (50 people) but (being partner) use Jive very deliberatly to create engagement and stay in touch. We advise our customers to do the same:

1. Active blogging. Not weekly but whenever there is enough news to report or special events

2. Open community: let people react, do not be afraid of dialog

3. I post everything myself, as people will find out otherwise and your messages will lack impact

4. Make it personal and be not afraid to show stuff from behind the scenes

5. Ask questions, sometimes make fun (even about yourself). If this is authentic people will return the same, doing wonders for engagement.

6. When posting new guidelines on anything for example explain the reasoning behind it, taking people on a journey with you.

7. Share successes and thank your team: being humble and giving credit to the team, also telling how and what deals were won wiill create a sense of success and teamspirit that provees to be infectuous in a good way.

8. Besides blogging etc. be active and react in relevant places with other peples content, engaging in conversation.

Some examples that worked well are implementation of innovation teams (asking people to participate and come up with ideas), feedback on strategic plans, creating a campus place in Jive, and promoting informal gatherings/parties personally.

Feedback for me has been great and contrary to my predecessor have led to open up our Jive community (eg give people permissions in more places) more.

Hope this helps a bit.

1 person found this helpful
            Helen Chen

Hi Kim -  Good questions here!  I have multiple execs activity engaged in our community so can share some ideas:

1. Tactics
              1. Blogs - Our CEO blogs regularly, but not on a schedule. He writes and posts his own content when there are things to be shared.
              2. Videos - CEO has done one video and plans to use this media for a regular status update.  We do have two other execs who are posting video updates to their teams semi regularly.  These videos are well received and are pretty low fidelity.  One of videos was recorded in car with the family driving during the holidays. He included a "Where in the world is?” challenge with a bottle of wine as the prize. His video was hysterical as his kids were in the back seat playing on devices clearly ignoring their dad's end of year wrap-up. The whole family jumped in at the end to wish everyone happy holidays. 
              3. AMA - We do AMA for company meetings. We collect questions beforehand and during the meetings. 
              4. General engagement -  I think this is the differentiating factor. Some of our execs are consistently on the list of top community members for contributions and engagements. Those who I use as examples not only create their own content, but they engage with the content other others by adding thoughtful content, thanking posters for their contributions, escalating by tagging if they see nothing happening. They are seen as real people, who are involved, they care and they understand the priorities and concerns.
            2. Great questions or discussions - We've had great conversations about technology, industry, process but especially meaningful are when there are posts made discussing contributions by individuals or teams
            3. Benefit/Engagement/Feedback -  This takes important conversations out of the background and puts the spotlight on them so that we can discuss openly. This supports our company culture of transparency. 
            4. Who posts- Most of the content from our CEO and other execs is created and posted by themselves. The exceptions are
              1. Marketing execs who typically depend on ghost-writers although I have seen a couple of changes.
              2. Specific programs we have to write weekly/monthly updates with status updates. These updates generally come from the teams running the programs. They have negotiated ghost publishing by leadership to emphasize leadership support for the specific activity.

I hope this helps!

1 person found this helpful
              b.taub

One of the best things for (especially new) CEOs to do on Jive is not just post - but learn.  A well run Jive site is like an MRI of an organization.  You can see what is happening unfiltered through 12 layers of management.  What employees are working on, what people are worried about, what part of the corporate direction and strategy is unclear or needs bolstering?  I cannot think of another, better way for a new leader to take the pulse of the organization they are taking over than to spend some time - just wandering around in Jive.

While they are there they should like, comment, and rate - but most importantly - learn.  So help them understand not only what they can do for Jive, but what Jive can do for them.  When they understand the benefit to them, you will have much easier time getting them to participate in a visible, active way.

2 people found this helpful