7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 11:18 AM by mnevill

How can I determine who has opted in for email notifications and who has not?

briankling

I have looked at the DES documentation, but nothing appears to answer this question; can I pull data to show which community members have opted into email notifications and which opted out?

• Re: How can I determine who has opted in for email notifications and who has not?
          tmaurer

I wanted to share this with the Jive Developers space, but it wouldn't come up in that search. So tagging here instead.

Thinking that maybe someone on  Andrew Kratz's team, or Wes Goldstein's team might have answers for you.

• Re: How can I determine who has opted in for email notifications and who has not?
            Robert Hanson

The best you can do is to determine if they will receive emails for a given stream.  The steps below show you how you can see what this looks like directly in your browser without having to write any code.

Start by getting your own Person object.  The link below will show you your Person object in AureaWorks with everything filtered out except for the link to get to your Stream data.

https://community.jivesoftware.com/api/core/v3/people/@me?fields=resources.streams

Grab the URL for your Streams and drop it in your address bar to load your personal Stream objects.  To make it easier to read you can remove stuff that isn't all that useful by adding this to the end of the URL, ?fields=-resources,-person.  It will look like this below.

There are two out-of-the-box streams are "connections" and "communications", plus any other custom ones that either your Jive admin created or the user created on their own.  For each stream there is a receiveEmails flag to indicate if emails will be sent.

I believe that the "connections" stream is linked to content that you follow, and the "communications" is linked to your "Inbox".

As for determining which users will receive the weekly digest email sent our by Jive, I don't think there is a way to get that.

Hope this helps.

4 people found this helpful
                b.taub

Thanks Robert.  Was just about to post this, but with a lot less detail.

The only thing I would clarify, is that there is more granularity under Profile>Preferences>General Preferences>Email Preferences, such as if @mentions trigger an email (see screenshot below), that is not surfaced via the above method - only the general answer to "Will the user receive email notifications for the Stream called INBOX?".

Clearly this info is somewhere in Jive, but not surfaced via the APIs, although we have been asked several times before if there is a call that will return any of the other Profile Preferences, or - ideally - edit them via an API injection.  Alas, this seems not to be possible.

Jive Profile Email Preferences screenshot.

Ben

briankling

Thanks for your replies all. What I am looking for is to generate a list of all community members, and be able to filter by those who have opted in or out of email communications. Based on the replies so far, I don't think we have a solution for this, unless I'm not understanding properly.

briankling

I pinged the folks at Lithium, they are confirming this would be a Professional Services engagement. Frankly with our poor Jive-x experience since we migrated in Dec 2016, we're not interested in spending any further money on this sinking ship...

Thanks again for trying to help!

Brian

mnevill

I've been looking for the same information for a long time now with no luck.  If you have access to the EAE database, I believe this query outputs the user ID and what they are following in a stream with email notifications turned on.  You would have to mesh this data up with the object types (14 = space, 102 = document, etc) and the object ID to get the title of what it is.  I used it in the past to track who was subscribed to particular spaces (object type = 14).

select

Streamid,

jivestreamassociation.userid,

jivestreamassociation.objecttype,

jivestreamassociation.objectid,

to_timestamp(jivestreamconfiguration.createddate/1000) as Creationdate,

to_timestamp(jivestreamconfiguration.modifieddate/1000) as Modificationdate

From jivestreamassociation

join jivestreamconfiguration ON (jivestreamconfiguration.id = jivestreamassociation.streamid)

Where jivestreamassociation.receiveemails=1

order by createddate desc

1 person found this helpful