6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 1:56 PM by Sarah O'Meara

[GDPR] How Do Recommender Service, Spotlight Search and Other Algorithms Keep and Use Data about a User

moby

Dear Aurea, (I do not have permission to ask a question in the Aurea and GDPR Compliance space, unfortunately.)

In light of GDPR and the personal data which is collected and stored by the Jive software product, I am writing to ask for clarification about how the recommender service and other algorithms inside Jive work in order to:

1. customize their news streams
      2. display recommended content alongside other content
      3. display recommended content inside /content?filterID=recommended list
      4. customize and provide relevant results when searching (spotlight search or detailed search)

What data is gathered and stored about a person to enable these functions?

• search history?
      • actions taken (clicks on people, content, places search results) -- a.k.a. "search success/failure"?
      • content, people places views?
      • content likes?
      • [12-apr-edit-added] bookmarks?
      • [12-apr-edit-added] shares?
      • other background data which is linked to a user, i.e. login/logout data (last logged in)?

What is Aurea's position as to the eligibility of this data being included in the scope of GDPR and how shall we be in compliance for each of these data types for GDPR requests (discovery, reporting, anonymization, portability, deletion)?

Sincerely,

Mike O.

• Re: [GDPR] How Do Recommender Service, Spotlight Search and Other Algorithms Keep and Use Data about a User
          Sarah O'Meara

Hi Mike O! Thanks for your questions about GDPR. I should probably put a notice up in the GDPR space that it was intentional to make the space view only. Due to legal sensitivity we want customers to direct all questions about GDPR to their account managers who are equipped to get you the accurate information you need. Please reach out to your account manager (let me know if you aren't sure who that is) regarding these questions. 

Hope this helps!

Best,

Sarah

• Re: [GDPR] How Do Recommender Service, Spotlight Search and Other Algorithms Keep and Use Data about a User
              moby

Dear Sarah -- thank you for your note.

I raised mine both publicly and as a private case since this general question, the answer and its awareness should be seen by my fellow ECMs as they make their own preparations. I believe this consideration was the driving factor behind the two buttons presented as I start to open a support case : (1) create a public discussion, or (2) start a private case.

These datasets do seem to qualify for protection under GDPR and so far have not been addressed in other communication from Aurea.

In case the answer involves my taking a peek at more sensitive information, such as the "secret sauce" that drives the internal algorithms and how they work, then indeed I agree a private conversation is warranted.

However, I do hope to receive an official answer to this general question here in this public forum. Unless otherwise instructed, I plan to post here any generic answer I receive in my support case. --Mike O.

2 people found this helpful
                  mcollinge

Agreed. A lot of this is not private & should (IMO) be public to help everyone work together on this & gain some reassurance that everything will be covered when we upgrade to 9.0.4.

In the absence of anything in the UI so far, or any documentation on new APIs that are in 9.0.4, I've been putting together some pages as a contingency plan. One covers data portability and gives the user this page;

It relies on the Jive REST API & documentation including everything they'd need to meet the portability requirement.

1 person found this helpful
                Sarah O'Meara

Sorry for the delay I was chatting with our legal team. It was decided to keep the GDPR space and answers private, so we would  appreciate your cooperation with that decision. Legal also wanted you to be aware that the confidentiality agreement is between you and Jive, not between one Jive customer and another Jive customer.

I personally don't see a problem with publicly listing questions that other customers may find helpful to ask themselves, but relaying answers to all customers that were passed specifically to you and your account is playing a game of telephone that could cause issues and misunderstandings. I've already put in the recommendation to have an FAQ based on common customer questions created, but the final decision on that front is not up to me.

I absolutely appreciate your dedication to share information that can help out fellow customers (because that's what Jive is for!), but in this case we want to make sure everything goes smoothly and we are prepared to answer these questions individually.