13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2019 1:09 PM by XMaskuli

Remove Image URLs from Notifications Emails

eric.anastas

When email notifications that include content are sent from our Jive instance images in the content are not included in the email, but are instead replaced with the URL to the image. I understand that images are difficult to display in email as they are behind the security restrictions of the Jive places. However just omitting the images and only showing the text would be better then including long URLs in the body of the email.

I investigated the email templates more and found where the "Blog Activity Notification" message template is injecting the contents of the blog using the ${contentTextBody} token.

I have experience programming other languages like JavaScript and C#, but have not used the FreeMarker syntax before. Is there a way to remove the image URLs from ${contentTextBody}, or otherwise extract just the body text of the content?

The instructions on the page also mention the full objects ${blog} and ${blogPost} are available. What does this mean exactly? Are these instance of the Blog and Post objects from the REST API? How can I determine what properties or method are available on these objects?

Jive REST API v3.14 → Blog entity

Jive REST API v3.14 → Post entity

• Re: Remove Image URLs from Notifications Emails
          lauren.hogue

Hi Eric,

Did you ever find a solution for this? If so, I'd appreciate any details you could share. Thanks!

aali

Hi Michelle Gantt

Is there any updates on this as this still is not answered, do you know if there any fixes or workarounds for this coming anytime soon from Jive?

I know you have mentioned:

"Images do not come through on emails because images that are embedded in blog posts are behind a password and the email server cannot get to the images…"

- Our users are logged into their email, which is the same SSO used as our instance of Jive

- Other suppliers have this as a basic function – LinkedIn, Workplace – how is it that this works for them! How are they they managing to get images come through for their emails?

Thanks,

Anowar

cc Becky Dozier

michelle.gantt

It's not the users being logged in to both systems - it's that the email server itself that cannot access the images. This is why if you want to use a an image in your email header and footer, it must be hosted outside of Jive.

I do not know how other system make images work, honestly...that's beyond my technical knowledge....

Adding Xhevair "Jev" Maskuli in case he knows of this being something on our roadmap.

1 person found this helpful
                  XMaskuli

Hi Anowar Ali,

Happy to talk about this. It's has been discussed many times in the past, and can absolutely be a frustration as an end user. However, security is a very high priority for us and any mechanism we employee will be less secure then what we are comfortable with at the moment.

I think this is validated by the fact that LinkedIn won't show Images in E-Mail notifications for private groups (in my experience any way, see below).

Of course images from public posts and articles being available in E-Mail isn't surprising... Is that what you were referring to regarding images in E-Mail notifications?

eric.anastas

The text from a post shows up in the notification emails. Why? Because the email *contains* the text. The emails are not referencing the text through the Jive server.

Likewise, the correct way for Jive to include images in notification emails would be to attach the actual image files to the emails as well as embedded in the content.

mime - Embedding attached images in HTML emails - Stack Overflow

XMaskuli

Hi Eric Anastas,

The problem isn't if we could send Images in an E-Mail, the issue is that it's bad practice for user generated content to include images as attachments in E-Mail notifications.

Even if there were size limitations or transformations of the images (Which would degrade the usefulness of the image) that would minimize the impact, it would drastically increase bandwidth requirements to send E-Mails at scaled, and clog E-Mail clients with duplicate binary data.

That is the reason why Facebook, LinkedIn, and others don't send those images attached to an E-Mail either.

I would be very interested in seeing any examples of a private post on a Social Network, Intranet, collaboration platform, etc... sending user generated images via E-Mail. I would love to find a good solution that provides the level of security our customers require while providing the experience desired.

Right now the only way we can do that is by using our E-Mail integrations (Gmail or Outlook) to authenticate you. :/

aali

Hi Xhevair "Jev" Maskuli,

Thank you for your input.

Is there any way we can have the text "The Linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file and location." removed or an option in the admin console that will allow administrators to toggle the text on or off? as this will reduce the number of emails we receive from our users asking"is this broken?"

Thanks,

Anowar

eric.anastas

Yeah I totally understand what you are saying, and agree completely. But I also work at a design firm where most people would not understand the limitations of embedding images, and images are a huge part of the core business.

Pushing out the Outlook Plug-in seems like the best solution, but I definitely know where everyone is coming from on this issue. At the very least it would be better for Jive to include a template like what I shared above by default. Otherwise you end up with confusing notification emails that include text like "See image below" where there's just a blank space. It would be better if there was at least a robust way to replace images with some placeholder text. I"m not sure how reliable the regex in my template above is

Xhevair "Jev" Maskuli  wrote:

Hi Eric Anastas ,

The problem isn't if we could send Images in an E-Mail, the issue is that it's bad practice for user generated content to include images as attachments in E-Mail notifications.

<snip>

XMaskuli
                                    Eric Anastas, Anowar Ali and all,

Trust me when I say, I completely understand that to a user... It just looks broken or not great. Especially when having the E-Mail integration isn't an option.

This is definitely something to consider moving forward. I would love to simplify this down a lot, and provide a better experience by default.
                                    I live Jive everyday and want to improve it, but sometimes issues like this can get put into a security category and lose priority. I'm going to keep this issue in mind as we consider simplification efforts.

Thank you as always for the recommendations, this community rocks.