10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 2:45 AM by Augustin Derigny

How to configure a news stream to include shared blogs but avoid noise from mentions?

clairetaz

When I create a stream for a group, I see 'all activity' in that group, including the noisy stuff like when people @ mention the group. I want to only see blogs:

• the group blog
      • blogs that are shared in the group

It seems that the only way to include the shared blogs is to put the entire group in the stream. Problem is that the top news blog stories are then lost as all the other mentions etc start appearing above.

• Re: How to configure a news stream to include shared blogs but avoid noise from mentions?
          tmaurer

Hi Claire,

I think you have it nailed. There is not a way to only get blogs shared with a space without also including the whole space, which would then mean @mentions.

I'll be honest, I would typically want all @mentions to get included, because people will often use @mentions instead of shares since you can do them as you write the content and it can be easier than taking extra time after posting to do shares.

Keeley Sorokti can speak more specifically to her strategy, but we try to get people to post content in the space that is the main target audience and then share to other options. So using Company News as an option, if there was information about an upcoming change in company strategy, that would get posted to our Company News space, and shared to the theater spaces. Then when building the Company News stream, we include the Company News space as a whole. If people are posting blogs elsewhere they want to show up in Company News, they can share, but those posts won't get in the Company News news stream. If they thought it was important to hit the news stream, they could @mention Company News and it would hit the stream.

I guess it is just a different way of looking at it. I think the model evolved this way because @mentions came before News Streams. And @mentions are explained as the way to "get someone's attention", so it makes sense to use them in this way across the board.

-Tracy

• Re: How to configure a news stream to include shared blogs but avoid noise from mentions?
            gbrettmiller

Claire, if I understand you correctly, you are trying to add a Stream to the News page, is that correct?

For us (on-prem 8.0.5), the Stream configuration includes a place to specify Places and/or Blogs; the latter can be either personal blogs or a blog in a place. In fact, we have one stream that is exclusively blogs, primarily individual blogs but a couple of team blogs that include very specific individual voices.

The issue with a Shared blog post into a Group is that the Streams mechanism will see it as simple "content" or "activity", and not a part of the Group's blog. If you know what other blogs typically get shared to the Group, you could add those blogs to the Stream configuration. Of course, this would mean that all posts to those blogs would show up in that Stream.

Hope this helps.

clairetaz

Did anyone else notice that when you share a video to a group that is in a stream, it doesn't play on Jive Daily. It is an empty post with no video to play. We have logged this bug.

clairetaz

Wouldn't it be great if we could have the OPTION when configuring a news stream (either a push stream or custom), to select whether or not we want to include Shared Content and/or @mentions. This would be a simple solution to the pain. I can see sometimes that it would be nice to see @mentions, but not in the case of e.g. a "Company News" stream, where you want to see videos and all types of content, but you don't want those @mentions appearing as top news.

Does anyone know if this requirement exists? If not, where are we posting them these days, and are they being heard?

clairetaz

Another 'wouldn't it be great' is this:

Wouldn't it be great if we could have an OPTION to flag which streams we want to see in our News page roundup... I would uncheck "Following". This is a big bucket of things and people I follow because I have to (e.g. I need a label to bulk-share). I don't care what those people are doing, so want to remove that stream from my News roundup.

>> trying to make News cleaner and filter out the noise....

Thanks Michelle, I will submit my idea(s)

Augustin Derigny

Hello Claire

I may have a workaround for your issue. We noticed that the following procedure allows to put a blog post from any community in the headlines of the homepage (the two first posts which are coming from our main news stream):

• Move the blog post you want to share with all users to the community that is enclosed in the main news stream (the first one in the list)
                    • The blog should now appear in the headlines and in the main news stream
                    • Then move the blog post back to its original community
                    • The blog still appears in the headlines and in the main news streams while being attached to its original community!

We are not sure if this is a bug of the system but we have used this trick with consistent results. It allows us to highlight specific blog posts from all our communities in the homepage headlines.

For instance I posted this news in our communication community (which should not appear in our main news stream), so I moved it to our group news community (which is in the main news stream), then back to the communication community, and now it's still in our headlines:

We haven't used this for secondary news streams though but I think this should also work.

Augustin