8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2018 3:55 AM by aali

How does Notify Users work in News Streams?

tonywoodall

I set Notify Users to On. When I created content in the blog used in the stream. No one received notifications.

1. Are notifications sent to Jive InBox or email inbox?

2. Do users need to be following the blog/space, etc. or should notification be sent regardless if Notify is set to On.

Thanks,

Tony

• Re: How does Notify Users work in News Streams?
          michelle.gantt

When you opt to Notify Users, it will send an email to everyone subscribed to the stream - as long as they have logged into the community at least once (users who have accounts but haven't logged in will not receive emails).

Also, you must have emails enabled for the community - if you turned emails off in the admin console, this option doesn't override that setting. Or...if you have allowed users the option to turn off all emails in their Preferences, this doesn't override that setting either.

Check here: admin console > people > settings > global profile settings and scroll down to the very bottom. There is a dropdown with 3 choices. If you want to ensure that users receive emails from a news stream, you will need to select the one that says "Enable emails for all users" which means they no longer can choose to turn them all off (they can still individually turn them off). Otherwise, anyone who has turned all emails off will not receive the emails.

Are users receiving other emails from the community?

If all of these things seem to be set correctly and users are receiving other emails, then you may need to open a support case.

3 people found this helpful
            aali

Hi Michelle Gantt

Have been testing what you mentioned above an noticed in personal preferences for "News and Stream Notification" keep reverting back to "All Activity" after I have selected "Daily Summary"

is this by design or a bug?

The UK Test 2 has been set to:

We have the Admin console setting set to:

Many thanks,

Anowar

Tanya Burak

tmaurer

Pretty sure that for News Streams, if you set email notifications to ON for the stream at the admin level, individual users can't adjust what they get. I wish they could, because then you could default the stream to notifications and let individuals opt out. But I remember having this conversation and finding out it didn't work this way. Notice the words in your screenshot above - "Email users every time new content appears in this stream. (Users still have the option to disable all email notifications.)" Those words seem to illustrate the point that once you turn it on, users can't change settings except to turn ALL emails from the site off.

Is that correct, Michelle Gantt?

michelle.gantt

I tested this feature out pretty early on and here is what I found then:

• If users are allowed to turn all email notifications off using the top item in the Preferences menu, setting a news stream to send emails will NOT override this setting
                    • If you have disabled the ability for them to change that top setting, and they then turn off all other emails individually, the news stream setting WILL override it - so the tick box for emails for that news stream will be greyed out.
                    • OR if they try to turn off the news stream email individually (even if they could turn off all notifications), the tick box will be greyed out. However, I know for some customers, it's not greyed out but if you try to change it it doesn't stick.
                    • It's meant to show all activity by design since the idea behind sending an email using this method is for things that should be ready right away - not as a daily digest or newsletter. BUT I agree that the UX should actually just be entirely greyed out so that it's not frustrating.

So, if you absolutely want people to receive emails from a news stream set to receive emails, the only way to guarantee this is by disabling the ability for them to turn off all emails. The downside of making this decision at any point after you've got users in there is that all that change in the profile settings page does is grey out the top email setting in the Preferences menu. So if people have already disabled all emails and you disable the ability to change that setting, they will be forever stuck without emails.

Anowar Ali: I know where your question is coming from and I promise to try to get the writeup about how to do newsletters in Jive done very soon!

2 people found this helpful