12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2018 12:41 PM by Ted Hopton

Disable notifications of edits to blog posts?

eric.anastas

We recently enabled "Notifications" for a number of our news streams.

We also have email notifications enabled for all users.

This appeared to be working, and any new posts to the news streams would also be sent out as an email.

However, it appears that notification emails are also sent out for any edits to these blogs posts, which is resulting in a lot of duplicate emails being sent out to everyone.

Is there a way to have it send out email notifications when a blog is first posted, but not when it is edited?

• Re: Disable notifications of edits to blog posts?
          michelle.gantt

The news streams are what they are - there isn't much chance to change the way they function. The only thing I can suggest is that you make sure that blog posts going into that news stream are finalized before they go into the places where the stream is pulling from. Work on them in a private group and then move them into the "public" place for final publishing.

jennemerson

Hi Michelle, on an unrelated note, I am trying desperately to get in touch with someone in customer service. I have an urgent case open. I was working well with my customer service guy yesterday, but the conversation seems to have stalled. I just need to hear something from someone - like is work being done, is there an eta, etc. I know there's no way to call you guys, and the past couple of community posts I have tried to make asking for help seem to still be sitting in moderation. Can you help me?

eric.anastas

Michelle Gantt  wrote:

The news streams are what they are - there isn't much chance to change the way they function. The only thing I can suggest is that you make sure that blog posts going into that news stream are finalized before they go into the places where the stream is pulling from. Work on them in a private group and then move them into the "public" place for final publishing.

We've tried working on blogs posts in a private group but have found that when they are moved to the new new stream spaces, they will not show up in the new stream. We've had to edit the blog post and use the "Schedule when this post gets published" feature to republish the blogs in their new home. This works, but seems a little hacky. Is there a better way to do this?

I asked another question about moderation yesterday which you also responded to: Moderators have to moderate their own content?

We are wondering if we can use this functionality as a feature. Am I correct in understanding that when a blog post is published, but not yet accepted by moderation, all moderators can see the post? My idea is we'd have people post content to the intended space, where it would get stuck in the moderation queue. While it is still in the moderation queue anyone that is a moderator could then review the post before it is actually posted. Does that sound feasible?

gbrettmiller

Eric,

Your understanding of moderation here is correct - anyone with Moderate rights for the blog would see the post in the moderation queue and could review it. Keep in mind though that it only requires one moderator to approve / reject it out of moderation, so if you have multiple reviewers you'd need to come up with some governance to ensure it wasn't prematurely released.

As for your original question, our experience has been that edits to a blog post do not generate activity in the News stream and hence do not trigger an email notification. We have found, though, that to use blogs as a news source we need to make sure to disable comments; otherwise emails would go out to everyone everytime someone comments on the blog posts.

michelle.gantt

Eric, it seems like you've discovered what's going on with the moderated posts. But what I was going to suggest is that you can use a Jive document in the private collaboration area to write the story and when it's finalized, use the copy function to post it in the public news place. Benefits to this approach include:

• Multiple people being able to edit it without having to have admin rights
                      • Versioning so you can revert if needed
                      • Ability to use commenting while collaborating without them being published along with the story
                      2 people found this helpful
                    moby

So far, we have not enabled notifications on any news streams. Does this happen for blogs as well?

More specifically, I wonder if this behavior (notifications send to news streams on content updates) applies to blogs as well, or if the standard community notification behavior for blogs (notification send only on first publication) applies for news stream with enabled notifications for the audience.

oonagh.m

We regularly receive complaints from our users that they're getting duplicate notification emails from our platform, and typically the issue is someone posted a document, realized it contained some small piece of incorrect information and updated, which generates a new email. This happens with all content types as far as I can tell, and I haven't been able to find a way to disable it, other than in a document selecting minor edit, don't notify, but we don't have consistent application of that .

eric.anastas

Mike O  wrote:

So far, we have not enabled notifications on any news streams. Does this happen for blogs as well?

More specifically, I wonder if this behavior (notifications send to news streams on content updates) applies to blogs as well, or if the standard community notification behavior for blogs (notification send only on first publication) applies for news stream with enabled notifications for the audience.

What do you mean "does this happen for Blogs as well"? Do you mean notifications resulting from following a group/space? In that case yes all activity, including edits, will show up as a notification. When you follow a place  you are effectively saying "I want to be notified when anything happens in this place".

I did not expect the news stream notifications to send emails on updates to content, because this is not how the news streams work on their own. Items only become news when they are first published. Editing a blog post does not push it back to the top of the news stream.

moby

Hi Eric - I love blog content type because notifications are sent only for the first publication of the blog. If the blog post is edited afterward, no new notifications are sent, and the original publish date is always preserved.

This is principally what we use news streams for, blogs.  All our news is in blogs.

So far, we have not enabled the news stream notifications option for any news streams.

My question was, are news stream notifications generated for edits to existing blog posts?

Or, as I would expect, news notifications are generated for blog posts only on the first publication?

--Mike.

eric.anastas

Eric Anastas  wrote:

Mike O   wrote:

<snip>

My question was, are news stream notifications generated for edits to existing blog posts?

Or, as I would expect, news notifications are generated for blog posts only on the first publication?

--Mike.

Yes notification are being sent out for edits to existing blog posts.

I did some more testing and think this is because we have moderation of blog posts enabled.

In a space with out moderation enabled, editing a blog post does not show up as an update in the stream. The post will be updated, but remain down in the middle of the stream wherever it was first posted.

After enabling moderation, updates to blog posts are moderated just like the initial creation of the post. However, with moderation the updated blog posts move to the top of the news stream as if they are new posts.

My guess is that the moderation processes is interpreted by Jive as re-publishing the post rather than just an edit.

1 person found this helpful
                              Ted Hopton

Just a heads up about something related to publishing blog posts in news streams, which I don't think anyone has raised above: Jive News uses the CREATED DATE to evaluate when the post was PUBLISHED. That's important to understand because:

• when you create the first draft of the blog post, that's the CREATED DATE
                              • Jive News expires content from the news stream after 7 days, so if you work on a blog post for more than seven days after you created the first draft, then when you publish it the news stream will ignore it because it's too old
                              • Jive News keeps newly published items visible on the News page for 48 hours, even if a viewer has clicked to view it (except if enough newer items get published and push it down in the queue and off the page) -- if you publish a blog post more than 48 hours after first drafting it, then it will disappear immediately from a user's page after they click to view it.

The best way I know to get around this issue is to do what Michelle Gantt suggested and use a document to draft blog posts and collaborate on them, and then use the Create a Copy feature to turn the finalized document into a blog post. Unfortunately, I've encountered a number of bugs/poorly designed features with that process in the past, so beware. For example, if the author of the document creates a private document, then invites people to collaborate, only the original author is able to Create a Copy. This is a problem when an administrative assistant creates a document for an executive, a team collaborates on the blog post and then the executive tries to publish it and can't.

3 people found this helpful