7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 11:19 PM by michelle.gantt

Make private group content visible to all internal contributors

nivenor1

Folks,

We use private groups (not secret) for client extranets. Is there an easy way to make all of the content in these private groups visible to all employees so it shows up in their search results. I really don't want to have to individually invite  and approve 100s of employees to every extranet (private group) we make. Perhaps create a group for employees and somehow give it permission to see private groups content? Thanks.

-Kevin

• Re: Make private group content visible to all internal contributors
          tmaurer

Since you are using Groups, I don't know of a way to accomplish that since they don't use Jive permission groups for access. You could accomplish something similar with Spaces, and then use permission groups to control access - this is typically how I've seen this accomplished.

1 person found this helpful
              michelle.gantt

If you don't mind that external contributors can see the profiles of all employees (it doesn't seem like you do), then you could use a permission group for externals and only give them access to the spaces - as Tracy suggests.

Using spaces won't work if you want them to be truly external contributors, though, since only groups can be made externally accessible.

One thing you could do is to give internal users Manage Social Group access. This would allow them into all the private and secret groups in the community, without inviting them to all of them. So if you have groups that should be unavailable to internals, you wouldn't want to go this route.

1 person found this helpful
                  nivenor1

Tracy and Michelle, thank you. Here is what I am summarizing from both of your most excellent responses:

To truly make an extranet for clients, wherein they have no visibility into employee profiles, other client names/profiles, and can only access one designated space...

We have to use private groups...

With the outcome that this information is hidden from all internal employees unless we invited each and every one of them to each extranet we create.

If we tried to let employees see into these spaces by giving them Manage Social Group access, then there would be no private space inaccessible to employees on our Jive instance (think HR).

Did I capture that right?

-Kevin