29 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2018 11:31 AM by Shai Sagi

Editing tiles on Overview/Activity page ?

jrafter

Has anyone received an error of "The name is a reserved name. The following names are reserved: Overview, Activity, Tasks, Content, Images, People, Subspaces, Analytics, Remote Docs, Calendar, Events, Subspaces and Projects, Projects, Blog, Blogs. " when updating the banner tile?

I've done this 50 times before and  had no issues. I think this is yet another bug after migrating to 2018.whoknows. Just wanted to check before logging a case.

• Re: Error when editing link in banner tile?
          jrafter

I just figured this out....

The page in the space was named "Overview" and you can't have pages named the above post upgrade.

Helen Chen

uh oh, this isn't good news. We have lots of place home pages called Overview and I don't want to rename them as they are probably  linked to in various places.  I wonder what happens during the upgrade. 

tmaurer

This is TERRIBLE news! We also have a ton of Tile pages that were named Overview.

Jessica Rafter - what happened to the pages that you had ALREADY named overview before the upgrade? This is going to be super important for the rest of us to understand so that we have plans and/or comms in place to address.

1 person found this helpful
                    jrafter

They render, but when I went into a tile on the page(banner tile) and tried to update the link in the tile, it threw the above error message and would not let me publish the layout. I have no problem doing this before the upgrade, I've done it maybe 100 times.

I hope it's something else but when I changed the page name it allowed everything to be saved as normal. I didn't log a ticket with support because I fixed it, but maybe I should so they can either notify folks or rollback that change.

For due diligence- I went in and and tried the link on other banner tiles and didn't have an error( the page was named "home") and put in external links just to make sure it wasn't link or tile specific.

jrafter

I also just did a test and it won't even let me name a page Overview anymore.

tmaurer

Shai Sagi - this is a HUGE issue for many of your customers. It is actually something I had raised with Jeremy Grant as something to make sure to address, since customers who were upgrading would need to be accommodated. Looks like that didn't happen, and I'm not sure what the solution is.

1. We could manually start changing the names of Overview pages we already have to something else.
                            • Pro: This would help make sure we don't have problems after the upgrade
                            • Cons:
                              1. HUGE level of effort
                              2. Will cause problems due to links. Since there isn't a way to automatically find and fix broken links, and Cloud doesn't offer the right kind of redirect setting, we are likely to miss many.
                          2. We all do nothing, and live with the pain afterward and Jive support gets overwhelmed with cases logged when people run into the errors that Jessica is describing.
                          3. The Jive software could have an automated replace that runs during the upgrade process, and allows customers to choose the new option (i.e. rename all Tile pages that are currently set to Overview to Home).
                          4. Jive engineers could create a program that customers work with support to run in advance of the upgrade to "fix" the names of these tile pages so that there aren't any problems after upgrades.

I would opt for number 4 as the best option, followed by number 3. Curious what you think, Shai.

oonagh.m

This is really concerning. Shai Sagi, is there a technical reason for this change, and is there anything to be done to correct it? This would be a huge inconvenience, we've made it basically SOP to name a space or group landing page Overview, and especially for our users who are running private groups but aren't in my office for one on one training, this kind of change would really throw them for a loop.

tmaurer

The technical reason for the change is that the next release allows Tile and Widget pages to co-exist. And since Widget pages are automatically named "Overview", there would be a conflict if there were two pages with the same name.

gregor.scott

I think this might be the technical explanation for the change, but it does not adequately explain the heavy handed approach to solving the conflict problem.

This is a poorly implemented security gate for the problem they created by allowing the Widget Overview and Tile pages to be shown together.

It would be a far more graceful interface if Jive just blocked the activities that might trigger the conflict rather than stopping all use of page names that might possibly cause a problem:

• A place with the widget-based Overview page should not allow a NEW page to be saved with the same name
                                    • A place with a Tile-based page named Overview should not allow the Widget-based Overview page to be included
                                    • A place with a Tile-based page named Overview should be editable if the Widget-based Overview page is not shown.

2 people found this helpful
                            michelle.gantt

I hate to say this, but I think you may all need to open support cases for this to get the attention it deserves. Thanks, Tracy Maurer for your answer to the reason why it's happening as I hadn't gotten there yet in my reasoning, even though I've experienced this as well.

tmaurer

Can't really do that now as I can't point to a place where the error is being thrown. Hopefully my Private Preview site will be upgrade soon and then I will have an environment where this can be reproduced and thus support can document and take to engineering. This is a difficult one to simulate since you need to have had the environment set up a certain way BEFORE the site was upgraded, and support doesn't work well in conditions where they can't reproduce (or do so easily).

These are the kinds of reasons that it is important to upgrade people's preview instances more than 3 weeks before their site goes live, at least with a big release like this one. We could have been finding problems like this long ago and giving engineering plenty of time to address the problems.

While the Public Preview is helpful, it doesn't allow us to

• Simulate situations that would happen in our individual sites. This comment thread is the perfect example - I would not have thought to set up a tile Overview page in advance of the upgrade. Because we aren't working in the Public Preview site, it doesn't simulate our actual environment.
                                • See admin functionality in the front end
                                • See admin functionality in the Admin Console
                                • Get automatic access to reporting - had to make several requests, and now I personally have to manage adding other customers into the right permission group

Many of us have paid extra for the right to have a Private Preview site. We'd like to be able to use it for one of the main reasons we paid - to help engineering find nuggets like this one that they hadn't anticipated so that we don't have to live with them upon upgrade.

michelle.gantt

I'm pretty sure that this happens whenever you edit or create a tile page named Overview even if you don't have both widget pages and tile pages enabled. So you should be able to duplicate this and grab screenshots just by editing any page title? Maybe create a test group for purposes of opening the ticket?

tmaurer

You are correct, it would. And that in itself is not a problem and is working as designed. Where the problem lies is when you already have Tile pages that are named Overview (created BEFORE an upgrade) and then you try to edit and save them. I don't have a location where I can show this problem, or a way to simulate it for someone. I even just reviewed about 20 different spaces and groups in the Public Preview to see if there were any where there was a Til page named Overview, but am not seeing one.

As soon as my Private Preview is upgraded, I'll get right on posting a support case for this. But in the meantime, it would be awesome if Shai Sagi could review any notes that Jeremy left to see what he had in mind for ways to resolve this issue. Or just start from scratch. Because as we've all chimed in about here, this is going to be a HUGE problem and support is already under water.

Shai Sagi

All,

The reason for the change is as Tracy explained (thanks):

The technical reason for the change is that the next release allows Tile and Widget pages to co-exist. And since Widget pages are automatically named "Overview", there would be a conflict if there were two pages with the same name.

I see the problem with existing pages that was not handled well, I will follow up with support

• Re: Editing tiles on Overview/Activity page ?
                                      Shai Sagi

Hi all,

Please see Jive Cloud 2018.2.8

I hope it will help.