2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 1:52 PM by Helen Chen

China and wechat

mnevill Advanced

Does anyone have a China community strategy?  Wechat seems to be well adopted, so I'm curios if others have just used it instead of Jive to facilitate a community or tried integrating their Jive community with it somehow.  Alternatively has anyone used a localization tool or carved out a separate place within their community just for China?

This isn't tied solely to external communities so I'm CCing Jive Internal Communities too

• Re: China and wechat
          tmaurer Guru

Hi Matt,

We absolutely have separate "sections" of our community that are in other languages. We have a space for China where most content is in Chinese, but people do sometimes reply and/or post in English. We also have a group for our Japanese colleagues.

At UBM, we had Chinese, Portuguese (Brazil), and French spaces/groups. It really depends on what you are trying to facilitate, but what we found was that for the few people that needed or wanted to read/respond in a different language than what was posted, it was acceptable to teach people how to use Chrome and add the Google Translate extension to their browser toolbar.

Hope that helps!

-Tracy

• Re: China and wechat
            Helen Chen Advanced

You might be surprised if you do some searching around. End users are very comfortable spinning up their own conversations about products on other sites.  I worked for one company who had no strategy for China and were shocked to find a community already in place which was larger than the official corporate community.  If that's the case, it might be worth finding a way to play nicely together rather than recreating the wheel…