2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2018 1:52 PM by Helen Chen

China and wechat

mnevill

Does anyone have a China community strategy?  Wechat seems to be well adopted, so I'm curios if others have just used it instead of Jive to facilitate a community or tried integrating their Jive community with it somehow.  Alternatively has anyone used a localization tool or carved out a separate place within their community just for China?

This isn't tied solely to external communities so I'm CCing Jive Internal Communities too

• Re: China and wechat
          tmaurer

Hi Matt,

We absolutely have separate "sections" of our community that are in other languages. We have a space for China where most content is in Chinese, but people do sometimes reply and/or post in English. We also have a group for our Japanese colleagues.

At UBM, we had Chinese, Portuguese (Brazil), and French spaces/groups. It really depends on what you are trying to facilitate, but what we found was that for the few people that needed or wanted to read/respond in a different language than what was posted, it was acceptable to teach people how to use Chrome and add the Google Translate extension to their browser toolbar.

Hope that helps!

-Tracy

• Re: China and wechat
            Helen Chen

You might be surprised if you do some searching around. End users are very comfortable spinning up their own conversations about products on other sites.  I worked for one company who had no strategy for China and were shocked to find a community already in place which was larger than the official corporate community.  If that's the case, it might be worth finding a way to play nicely together rather than recreating the wheel…