3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2018 11:36 AM by Kathryn

I thought endorsements were suppose to influence search?

Kathryn

I'm using Jive 9, and am noticing that endorsements were having no effect on search.  I thought that was the whole point?  Is there something we need to turn on or configure for endorsements to influence skills search results?  Or is this a bug? 

• Re: I thought endorsements were suppose to influence search?
          michelle.gantt

I honestly had never heard this but it totally makes sense that it should work this way so I went back to Brewspace to dig around. What I found was not conclusive - it seems that endorsement weighting wasn't originally in the functionality but was added later. I also found a reference to the People tab search using Relevance as one of the filters.

So I decided to do a little test. What I found was somewhat disturbing:

I first tried it out on the People tab.

• Using the skill "strategy" I got 4 results
          • According to the relevance, the person with 2 endorsements for strategy was in the first spot
          • The second person had the word strategy as part of a multi-word skill and had 3 endorsements
          • The 3rd person had strategy as a skill but no endorsements

Then I went to the spotlight search and searched on strategy.

• The person with strategy as part of a multi-word skill was in the first spot
          • The person with only strategy but with 2 endorsements was in the second spot
          • The person with only strategy but no endorsements was in the third spot

So...apparently the endorsement weighting DOES work, but it doesn't give any weight to an exact match over a partial match.

Can you test that theory out and see if it holds true in your community?