4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2019 7:05 AM by Dori Gray

Is there really code hidden from source code section?

Dori Gray

Hi,

There is a known bug in Documents right now, where any <br/> or umlaut tags cause a document to be unable to save or publish. In one document, I was able to go into the source code, located the <br/> and change it to <p> and then update that doc.

In another document, however, there were no instances of any <br/> or umlauts in the source code. I asked in my case and they said that these tags are "automatically used not not viewable" inside the source code, and so there is no way to manually remove them.

I just wanted to ask if this is true, and if so, how can we not have full control over our own source code?

• Re: Is there really code hidden from source code section?
          XMaskuli
          While there are auto translations being done for some HTML in the Rich text editor... My expectation is that there is another tag or special character that is causing the issue (It's not just <br />).
          Either way this is something should be fixed very soon (2019.2.3).
          • Re: Is there really code hidden from source code section?
            kirkan

Hi Dori Gray for us, the bug was triggered by a combination of links with special characters and <br /> tag OR image/video (in all content, not just documents)

Here's an extract from the workaround document that I created for our community.

What causes the issue?

This error is triggered when you try to save any content (or comment or reply) that includes a link (URL) which includes a special character AND either and image/video OR a <br /> element in html code behind your content.

Scenario

What causes the issue

What does that mean?

How to get around it?

or Copy

or Edit   

ANY CONTENT 

content contains a link with special characters (e.g. ü, ö, ä, â, ê, î, ô, û à, è, and more...)

AND an embedded object like image or video

OR a <br /> element

link only = can be saved

image/video only = can be saved

<br /> element only = can be saved

image/video and <br /> element = can be saved

link AND image/video = error

link AND <br /> element = error

EITHER

Remove all links with special characters

OR

Remove all images or videos

AND/OR

remove all <br /> elements

Workaround ideas

How to avoid these two combinations

link AND image/video = error

link AND <br /> element = error

Remove all links with special characters

- if you can just remove the link (with special character) then your content will published

- you could remove the link from the content and add it as a comment instead

- you could change the url with the url shortener (just make sure you don't use any special characters)

Remove all images or videos

- it is likely that you want or need any images you have added, but if not then removing these will resolve the issue

Remove all <br /> elements

- if you have removed the images/videos but you still cannot publish your content, it is likely there is a "break" element hiding in your code.

- If you know how to find and remove this in the HTML go ahead! If not, contact us via

4 people found this helpful